The Fender Forum
NEW! LPF Facebook Page
NEW! LPF Instagram Page
Merchandise & Donations
NEW! Burst Serial Log Home Page
LPF Homesite

Re-Tip SG LP Tuner

sadly, one of the double-ring kluson tuners of my 61 SGLP has crumbled. the current repro's look identical but of course don't have the same wear. i'd love to swap in the post+tip from the repro set into the housing from the original, but bending the little sprongs on the back (so i can open the cover and remove the post) is proving beyond my pay grade.

anyone know of a repairman who might be able to make this happen?

or perhaps there's another solution out there i can try at home?

thanks for your help!

chris

Re: Re-Tip SG LP Tuner

Have the crumbled knob replace by a competent luthier.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Kluson-Pear...QAAOxy0NtTCQMk
    I strongly advise against trying to open the case by prying the tabs as there is a serious risk to break them, either when opening them but also when trying to close them back. In addition there is no guaranty that the worm will fit with the gear as the sizes won't be exactly the samem. The turn ratio may also be different.

Re: Re-Tip SG LP Tuner

Quote Originally Posted by poor man's burst View Post
    Have the crumbled knob replace by a competent luthier.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Kluson-Pear...QAAOxy0NtTCQMk
    I strongly advise against trying to open the case by prying the tabs as there is a serious risk to break them, either when opening them but also when trying to close them back. In addition there is no guaranty that the worm will fit with the gear as the sizes won't be exactly the samem. The turn ratio may also be different.
    Thanks for these excellent points! Great advice. I ordered a few of these keys and will start calling around.