• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

The finish is flaking off my 2006 Les Paul.

StSpider

I have a 2006 Les Paul Oxblood that I bought in mint conditions in 2008 and played A LOT in the past 12 years. It is to this day my main guitar for everything tuned to E flat, I've had to refret it in the past and all that.

In the past 4 or 5 months I started noticing some spots on the neck where, after trying to rub off the sweat, I could feel the wood underneath the final coat of paint. By scraping the gunk with a fingernail I ended up exposing some small spots on the neck, and the process has expanded somewhat over the past few months. Not that I'm trying to "relic" my guitar, it's just that the more I play the more this phenomenon seems to progress: neck gets sweaty and sticky, I rub it off, the exposed area expands.

You can't actually see the natural mahogany underneath, because the back of the Oxblood is finished in the same dark brown color as the top, and the color isn't coming off as of now.

At first I thought this was just normal neck wear from playing the guitar a lot, but yesterday I noticed the same thing happening in a small area just behind the nut in the center of the neck. It's not an area where I would normally rub off my finger, even when playing full chords, my thumb just doesn't go there. So I've ruled out that this is simply playwear.

Can someone explain what is happening? I find it strange that the finish is acting weird after so many years. I haven't changed home, humidity condition or anything of the like recently either, so I have no idea what could have triggered this. I'll also add that the guitar has always had a somewhat thin finish, I could see the seamline in the top under the right light even back when I bought it (no gap between the maple pieces, just a small sink in the finish).

As of now I don't have a better picture. It's quite hard to photograph because the color is so dark, but I hope you can still see what I'm talking about.

H0K0GBZ.jpg

thin sissy

My 2007 R8 has that same thing happening on the back of the neck as well. I wouldn't say it gets sticky though. I don't have any answers for you, but I'll keep an eye on this thread :hmm

StSpider

Yeah sticky is not quite right. More like "gunky", if that's even a word.

fred dons

Looks llike the clearcoat is delaminating from the Color layer, i had a few Gibson acoustics as well as electrics which had this issue as well, only thing I could do was to remove the topcoat completely and shoot a new clear coat, this was with guitars which were from the period 2005-2007 , I'm not sure what Gibson used for the paint for these guitars but it was not cellulose as it refused to melt when trying to glue it back using paint thinner

BurstPipe

Is that the binding, or the finish on the binding, splitting at each of the frets?

StSpider

Looks llike the clearcoat is delaminating from the Color layer, i had a few Gibson acoustics as well as electrics which had this issue as well, only thing I could do was to remove the topcoat completely and shoot a new clear coat, this was with guitars which were from the period 2005-2007 , I'm not sure what Gibson used for the paint for these guitars but it was not cellulose as it refused to melt when trying to glue it back using paint thinner

Thank you! Fits right in since mine is a 2006.