• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Thoughts on this pickup configuration

Seahawk

Good afternoon,

My question is as follows,

I have a 2018 les paul tribute and am thinking about changing the pickups to a duncan custom 5 in the bridge and a jazz in the neck. I rarely mess with my guitars but . . . . .

Any way thoughts, yes I will need to purchase some quick connect ends for the pickups

Thanks for the input

:dude:

tjdjr1

First I would consider what you do not like about the current pickups and do a bit of research on whether it's a magnet type change, hotness or if you just want to experiment. I have been down the pickup rabbit hole and it is mighty deep be careful LOL ! I play music from doobie brothers to godsmack and can cover it with stock or stock type pickups. In my 78 LP std I have mojotone 59 clones, 80 LP std Duncan 59's, 16 trad stock 57 and 57 +, my latest 19 Lp classic I left the 61's in it they are great. there is also a lot of tonal changes to be made with different wiring 50s vs modern and also cap changes another hole for the rabbi too. The Duncan Custom is a good pup and the jazz neck is nice and clear I have run both and the Duncan Custom used to be one of my favorites. Good Luck.

Señor Verde

The Custom 5 will be fairly loud and the Jazz is relatively quiet. When switching between pickups you might notice a huge volume difference, which would really bother me. When I had regular SD Customs in the bridge position of my Les Pauls, I found the 59 bridge pickup gave the best volume balance.

Seahawk

First I would consider what you do not like about the current pickups and do a bit of research on whether it's a magnet type change, hotness or if you just want to experiment. I have been down the pickup rabbit hole and it is mighty deep be careful LOL ! I play music from doobie brothers to godsmack and can cover it with stock or stock type pickups. In my 78 LP std I have mojotone 59 clones, 80 LP std Duncan 59's, 16 trad stock 57 and 57 +, my latest 19 Lp classic I left the 61's in it they are great. there is also a lot of tonal changes to be made with different wiring 50s vs modern and also cap changes another hole for the rabbi too. The Duncan Custom is a good pup and the jazz neck is nice and clear I have run both and the Duncan Custom used to be one of my favorites. Good Luck.

I am a HUGE Y&T fan and love the tone Dave Meniketti gets with his les paul, and he runs the custom 5 and jazz in his setup. I realize the equipment is only half of the soul of a great guitar player but man if I can get 1/8th of the tone Dave gets I'll die a happy man

Thanks

tjdjr1

Dave (y&t) is a very underrated player always has great tone, With height adjustments some of the volume difference can be equaled out.

Big Al

Whatever you like best is best. Pickups don't have to match. They can be anything you like. This notion that both must be near clones of each other is laughable. It's two different positions and gives the smart guitarist a way to optimise each for thier prefered tone, in any combination. Humbucker/Singecoil whatever.

Hot bridge pickups and clear lower output neck combinations have been common since DiMarzio kicked off the aftermarket pup craze in the 70's followed by my buddy Seymour Duncan. Super Distortion/PAF & JB/Jazz combo's ring any bells? Think anyone heard Tom Shultz' Humbucker/P90 combo?

The neck is by nature the loudest most powerful spot and supports a lower output pickup beautifully. No big volume mismatch when done right.