• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Horn-like fuzz/ overdrive

fakejake

Hi all,
I'm desperately looking for a overdrive/fuzz/distortion pedal that creates a horn-like sound. Very smooth, with lots of sustain and midrange.
I'd like to play horn lines and arrangements in a blues/ jazz context, and the guitar by itself always sounds a little thin compared to a horn.
I guess a combination of fuzz and OD could work, not sure if there is a pedal that combines both. The right fuzz alone can sound great (think 'Satisfaction' tone), but in my experience is difficult to control and not as easy to use for fast legato and single note picking. In this case, OD or distortion pedals seem to work better, but they usually lack the organic sweetness and sustain of a good fuzz...

Does anyone have suggestions? I'd very much appreciate any input!!
Cheers! :salude

ourmaninthenorth

Pete Cornish SS3.

I've used one for exactly this purpose, highly controllable fluid sustain, with top and bottom cut control.

rW7dG0Z.jpg

I also have a Stuart Castledine V2 on order...essentially his take on a 73 Rams Head, that I'll be using in the same ballpark.

I find that there's so much useable stuff in these pedals beyond their descriptors of fuzz/distortion/overdrive.

Good hunting.

:salude

fakejake

Pete Cornish SS3.

I've used one for exactly this purpose, highly controllable fluid sustain, with top and bottom cut control.

rW7dG0Z.jpg

I also have a Stuart Castledine V2 on order...essentially his take on a 73 Rams Head, that I'll be using in the same ballpark.

I find that there's so much useable stuff in these pedals beyond their descriptors of fuzz/distortion/overdrive.

Good hunting.

:salude

Thanks a lot! Very interesting, but holy smokes those Pete Cornish pedals are expensive!!! :##

I was looking for a V2 pedal on Stuart Castledine site but couldn't find it. Is that its official name?
Cheers!!

ourmaninthenorth

It is mate, filter out the delay and reverb in this clip, and this is what they do...

and this one...

I think Stu builds these in small numbers, which may explain why they're not on the site, He's a member here, if it's your thing drop him a PM, he's exceptionally cool to deal with.

The Cornish, expensive, yep...but not so much when you think how much I saved not buying other pedals. Seriously for years, this was the only pedal I owned.

:biggrin:

Mark Kane

All Access/Backstage Pass
The SS-3 into the G2 is perfect for what your talking about. Lots of range too. A nice OD pedal into a smooth Fuzz will also work here. The Bonamassa fuzz is super smooth.

Big Al

Any good modern fuzz without the vintage loading issues should work. Even Rats and my favourite Rams Head Big Muff. Hotter Distortion boxes maybe. I hit an overdriven amp, [not dimed], use both pickups selected and roll the tone all the way down on the treble/bridge pickup, leaving the rhythm/neck wide open. Sometimes I reverse it with the bridge wide open and neck down but mostly it is which combination happens to hit it right.

For me, it works best with a brighter tone on the fuzz for best grind and sustain while the half woman tone, half wide open guitar setting smooths out the overall tone. You may have to fiddle with the pickup volumes balance for fine tuning, if
too kazoo like, but I kinda like it.

The reason I mentioned loading issues that vintage fuzz circuits have, is that a wah wah can be great for obvious horn, DooWaa DooWaa type stabs but can be swept and fixed to give clarinet type tones or trombone.

What I do.

ourmaninthenorth

The guitar part at the end of this is part clarinet and part bagpipe sounding...this is one of my absolute favourite bits of guitar playing, and has been since I heard it 40 odd years ago.

I still can't play the bastid.

Starting at 8.32...

fakejake

Any good modern fuzz without the vintage loading issues should work. Even Rats and my favourite Rams Head Big Muff. Hotter Distortion boxes maybe. I hit an overdriven amp, [not dimed], use both pickups selected and roll the tone all the way down on the treble/bridge pickup, leaving the rhythm/neck wide open. Sometimes I reverse it with the bridge wide open and neck down but mostly it is which combination happens to hit it right.

For me, it works best with a brighter tone on the fuzz for best grind and sustain while the half woman tone, half wide open guitar setting smooths out the overall tone. You may have to fiddle with the pickup volumes balance for fine tuning, if
too kazoo like, but I kinda like it.

The reason I mentioned loading issues that vintage fuzz circuits have, is that a wah wah can be great for obvious horn, DooWaa DooWaa type stabs but can be swept and fixed to give clarinet type tones or trombone.

What I do.

Thanks Al for that excellent advice! This reminds me I need to use my guitar's controlsas well as the middle position more often. There are some great, honky hollow sounds to get that work really well with a fuzz. :salude

fakejake

The SS-3 into the G2 is perfect for what your talking about. Lots of range too. A nice OD pedal into a smooth Fuzz will also work here. The Bonamassa fuzz is super smooth.

Thanks! I never really tried an OD before the fuzz, but I'll give it a shot tonight. Maybe it'll work reasonably well with mine (I have an Xotic BB preamp and a Tonebender) so I don't need to get the SS-3....