• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Dilemma! What would you rather have?

sunking101

I currently have a white 2010 USA Gibson Les Paul Custom (9.5 outta 10 condition) and a heritage cherry sunburst 2019 Gibson Les Paul Standard 50s (10 outta 10 condition).

However, I have the opportunity to swap both of these guitars for a brand new Iced Tea Gibson Les Paul R8 VOS.

What would you do? I'd love the R8 but I also like the idea of owning 2 rather nice Les Pauls rather than just the one...

Iguana

Simple, if you can play the R8 first that is. If the R8 makes your inner Jimmy Page all warm and fuzzy do the deal. You’ve already got 2 guitars you like so make sure the R8 is something special before you part with them.

sunking101

Simple, if you can play the R8 first that is. If the R8 makes your inner Jimmy Page all warm and fuzzy do the deal. You’ve already got 2 guitars you like so make sure the R8 is something special before you part with them.

I've played it and it's nice. I would say slightly nicer than both my axes but it's nice to have a Custom as well. I guess I'm hoping to get a few replies and a majority viewpoint. I would be happy either way, but also feel like I'm missing out either way. I would just like to know that I'm making the correct decision, whichever that may be ...

Big Al

Just keep your two guitars. If you need some kind of group hug to make a flippin' decision, then you ain't ready to make it. WTF!! is up with all the wishy washy, spineless posts asking to choose which model, which type figure, which flippin' color,... next it'll be which outfit do I wear, which hairstyle do I pick??

WHY? Why do you want the R8? Why did you buy the ones you have? 9.5 out of 10 on a guitar you've owned 10 yrs? Do you play them or display them?

If a guitar tells me to take it home, I do. When I gladly trade away to get it, it is because I couldn't bear to pass it by. To keep some I find lacking the thing I find so desirable, just to have more is not my nature. I want more guitar, not more guitars.

If you really like the R8, then you must decide if trading your two for it is worth it. If, as it appears to be, it is a whim, that is you have the opportunity, rather than finding it and finding it to be so good you must have it, to trade but you really aren't in love with it, PASS!

In my experience the one you really want will eventually turn up, and you may be able to work a better deal.

Last edited:

El Gringo

Keep the 2 you have and it sounds as you care and like them a lot

Big Al

Keep the 2 you have and it sounds as you care and like them a lot

Agreed, El Mucho Amigo.

It seems he has a pair he really likes. It also seems that having a nice Standard AND a nice Custom is a source of pride and enjoyment. UNDERSTANDABLE!! As that is something most of us find appealing, for good reason.

But, a 1958 Reissue R8 is a very different guitar and it should say to you, very clearly, "Look, feel this neck, mmmm!, isn't that better? Look how happy your fingers are, ummm!, happy little digts, see how they dance. Ooooo! Ears are happy. Listen to that glorious tone! EEeeee! The eyes are moist. What a lovely recreation of a 50's Burst. I've always wanted one and just look at all the details. This is the guitar I've been waiting for."

To let go two you like, it better be for one you'll love. A guitar you clearly value more, on its own, because not having it is worse than having the other pair.

I didn't get that from the post. No matter what any of us might do, it's irrelevant. Either way as I see it, you gotta do the thing you know is right for you, and you alone. It would be a boneheaded move to trade for a guitar you can't appreciate without a group concensus.

A guitar that will just be so unquestionably right will come along.

El Gringo

Agreed, El Mucho Amigo.

It seems he has a pair he really likes. It also seems that having a nice Standard AND a nice Custom is a source of pride and enjoyment. UNDERSTANDABLE!! As that is something most of us find appealing, for good reason.

But, a 1958 Reissue R8 is a very different guitar and it should say to you, very clearly, "Look, feel this neck, mmmm!, isn't that better? Look how happy your fingers are, ummm!, happy little digts, see how they dance. Ooooo! Ears are happy. Listen to that glorious tone! EEeeee! The eyes are moist. What a lovely recreation of a 50's Burst. I've always wanted one and just look at all the details. This is the guitar I've been waiting for."

To let go two you like, it better be for one you'll love. A guitar you clearly value more, on its own, because not having it is worse than having the other pair.

I didn't get that from the post. No matter what any of us might do, it's irrelevant. Either way as I see it, you gotta do the thing you know is right for you, and you alone. It would be a boneheaded move to trade for a guitar you can't appreciate without a group concensus.

A guitar that will just be so unquestionably right will come along.

Big Al , you should have been a court Judge , as you certainly know very well to get straight to the point and to lay it out on the table . Also 2 for 1 seems a steep price to pay as far as Les Paul's go . Back in 2014 when I first got my very first R9 what jumped out at me was the "sound" and the feel of the neck and then the light bulb came on .

AA00475Bassman

I stopped trading - selling years ago to obtain something else , gone but not forgotten!

Big Al

Well I kept my two and instead added another...

image uploader

Which one is this? 2020? Lordy, I do like the red ones! I'd have to swap the ambered bonnets for proper gold ones as the dark amber bugs me on most guitars. How's that for anal nitpicking!!:laugh2: Funny how we all have our own tastes for such minor things. Back in 1980 when Gibson first came out with the amber bonnet knobs I was all over them. Bought sets for all my guitars.

Then it just changed so now I hafta yoink 'em off and put the regular gold ones on or it makes me crazy. How flippin' mental is that?? Still, that is a sweet cherry of a new red Standard. I've always liked that look but they rarely offered it. I didn't even know they did. Ooof! ya just gotta love them red ones, I sure do.