• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Korina Flying Vs, 80s vs 50s

StSpider

Aside from the obvious massive difference in price and collectability, can anyone sum up the other key differences?

As far as I know:

- 50s are all two piece bodies with the grain following the outer edge resulting in a chevron patttern, 80s are generally three piece bodies and the grain follows the neck orientation.

- strap button location is different, 50 is on the side of the neck and the inner part of the V, 80s is behind the neck joint and on the tip of the v

- plastics: 50s can be white plastic or black plastic or a combination of the two (like Amos), 80s seem to be all black plastic

- the pickguard seems smaller on 50s

- the screwholes for the jackplate are reversed on the 80s relative to the 50s

- tailpiece, now this in interesting: 50s have one bolt in the middle and 2 on the side close to the string holes, on the 80s the 2 on the side are much closer to the metal plate's end. However I've also seen guitars advertised as 80s Vs with the old style tailplate.

50s

GS3135-2_1024x1024.jpg

80s

bodycloseue3.jpg

also 80s

01454_front_detil.jpg

Anything else?

AA00475Bassman

Neck joint, really didn't care for the pickups Shaws , three piece neck mine was a joke really nothing at all similar to a 50's !

The only common thread is the wood IMO !

Last edited:

marshall1987

I'll take a stab at it.....and add:

As I recall, the body dimensions of the Gibson '80s Heritage Korina Vs are not period correct. For instance, the '80s V has a body that is shorter and stubbier (in length) than the vintage '50s Flying V. A side by side comparison of the two guitars gives you the impression the body wings, or fins are shortened on the '80s Heritage Vs.

El Gringo

Neck joint, really didn't care for the pickups Shaws , three piece neck mine was a joke really nothing at all similar to a 50's !

The only common thread is the wood IMO !

Interesting , I pulled the Shaws out for 57+ and 57 , and the thing that I liked about my Korina was how much she screamed .Good Guitar , but just feels goofy playing ,versus my Les Paul's which feel like I was born with one in my hands and feels so natural . I still have my Heritage Korina reissue at home in the back row of stands with my Firebird V to the right of in front of talk about another one that feels goofy .

AA00475Bassman

Idid not like the shew pickups In my Heritage V or Modern .

Firebirds are a acquired Taste IMO !