The Fender Forum
NEW! LPF Facebook Page
NEW! LPF Instagram Page
Merchandise & Donations
NEW! Burst Serial Log Home Page
LPF Homesite

Reverb.com concern

I've about had it with Reverb.com. Their fees are excessive and it takes too long to get a payout. Every time I reach out to customer service they blow smoke up my #ss. Anyone had luck with an alternative on-line marketplace?

Re: Reverb.com Sucks

I think their heart is in the right place. There ARE protections there you don't get elsewhere.

That said I had a problem getting them to refund me promptly on a high dollar (think 59 Bassman Tweed) purchase which fortunately I drove from Austin TX to Columbus Ohio to check out. The seller agreed with me that I was not trying to rip him off, I did not lowball or anything but pointed out several inconsistencies in the listing that were not readily obvious in the photos. He called them on the spot and said the deal was a no go and to refund me.

It took a few days to get my 9K back.

I still wish I had just bought it and fixed the problems, they were relatively minor but at the upper end of the scale I expected maybe too much...

Fees are excessive? Granted, they are not as cheap as they used to be but.....
    Maybe you should use Ebay.

I know it is not Reverb's fault, but the collection of sales tax is the deal killer for me. I will try to do private transactions as much as possible in the future. For guitars, forum based classifieds seems like the best place to shop now.

It is too, bad. Reverb was my major marketplace as a buyer.

I have had the same BS/blow smoke experience with them when contacting Customer Service and I was not impressed. As a matter of fact, I was offended.

I was in a position to burn the deal in question and cost them their $30 commission, but I chose to not to.

I do appreciate the protections they purport to provide, along with the easy transaction tool they provide.

Quote Originally Posted by fender69 View Post
    Fees are excessive? Granted, they are not as cheap as they used to be but.....
    Maybe you should use Ebay.
    Re: Ebay, yes maybe I will try it. Re: Fees, yes, I think their fees are excessive for the level of "service" they provide. I don't mind (and will willingly do so) pay a brick and mortar store a nice commission for handling a sale, but Reverb does nothing except provide a website for the listing. Yes, they provide certain buyer/seller protections that other's don't provide, but perhaps the biggest issue I have with Reverb is the fact that when they say they've processed a payout, it can take DAYS for the money to hit my bank account. For large transactions with thousands $$ involved, especially for overseas transactions, this is very stressful. I've tried communicating with them about this issue I find their customer service dismissive, rude, and unhelpful.

Les Paul Forum Member

Does anybody know what percentage their fee is, or is it a flat rate?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by scv8 View Post
    Does anybody know what percentage their fee is, or is it a flat rate?

Thanks
    The base fee is 3.5%, if you use Reverb payments (buyer uses credit card or affirm), they add on another 2.7%, if the buyer uses payal, it can add on another 2.9%. While these percentages may not sound like a lot, they add up.

If you are selling, I would use Reverb as a marketing tool to list across many classified forums.

Make the Reverb price high enough to cover potential fees.

Use the classifieds to advertise non-Reverb pricing.

JMHO.

Les Paul Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron59 View Post
    The base fee is 3.5%, if you use Reverb payments (buyer uses credit card or affirm), they add on another 2.7%, if the buyer uses payal, it can add on another 2.9%. While these percentages may not sound like a lot, they add up.
    Thanks! That is significant and really adds up.

My use of Reverb dropped dramatically over the past 24 months. As mentioned above, too many variables jack up the final price.

Les Paul Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by sonar View Post
    My use of Reverb dropped dramatically over the past 24 months. As mentioned above, too many variables jack up the final price.
    I Have been on reverb selling since 2013 and never had any problems
    The thing with reverb is the 3% selling Fee is your advertising fee
    and there Credit card fees are under 3% If you are a preferred seller
    So you need to include that in your sales Price on Reverb SayIf you advertised In Vintage Guitar
    Which is a monthly classified you would pay more and not be able to change your listing
    Till the next issue in print where on reverb you can add and change instantly with pictures
    as Far as Getting Paid with Reverb I get it the next day But you need to provide a tracking number
    when you send it and not wait for the customer to give you feedback plus your should use a major bank
    for your Reverb account that Processes quickly some banks are much slower than others
    I Thought E bays Selling Fees where higher and no matter where you sell and use a credit card for payment
    you will get a 1099 Form for that year if it exceeds certain $ limits as far as sales tax goes thats the federal
    and state governments catching on after all these years the Free ride on that is over now and its happening
    in all internet sales no matter if its Car Parts,Vitamins,Chainsaws etc maybe Craigslist is the last Frontier I don't Know?

Classic “get off my lawn!! “ post.

gbase maybe??

Les Paul Forum Member AA00475Bassman's Avatar

Love looking have bought a few pieces, as always buyer be cautious! I stick with sellers with store fronts . If it’s Gibson purchase has to be a dealer period on line or in hand .
    Ive never confused owning a bunch of high end gear with being some kind of a guitar player I'm a hack and I love guitars !

The myth :The most disturbing thing about buying a fake Les Paul is how my research after the purchase is received by Forum members ??? 2020

The Myth: Neat wiring layouts always equate to great-sounding amps.

The Myth: If I would have lived with MOM & mooched till I was 48 I would play like Clapton !
    Think about it
    won't you ...... Please !

Les Paul Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mdubya View Post
    I know it is not Reverb's fault, but the collection of sales tax is the deal killer for me. I will try to do private transactions as mouse clicker much as possible in the future. For guitars, forum based classifieds seems like the best place to shop now.

It is too, bad. Reverb was my major marketplace as a buyer.

I have had the same BS/blow smoke experience with them when contacting Customer Service and I was not impressed. As a matter of fact, I was offended.

I was in a position to burn the deal in question and cost them their $30 commission, but I chose to not to.

I do appreciate the protections they purport to provide, along with the easy transaction tool they provide.

but perhaps the biggest issue I have with Reverb is the fact that when they say they've processed a payout, it can take DAYS for the money to hit my bank account.

An option that I have been using for years is to do a advanced Google search using Craigslist.org as a domain. This will give you all the CL listings in the US for a particular item, i.e. Les Paul, Fender Tweed. Guys like me just rying to sell stuff locally, no fees, no tax. I typically make contatct, floowed by a phone call, work a deal out send money, and have it shipped. It really has worked well in most all cases. Just a thought.
    Game on!

Les Paul Forum Member musekatcher's Avatar

Its all about expectations. Now that you know the fees, policy, and response time, Reverb can actually exceed expectations. Its larger than Ebay's music offering, and dwarfs Ebay for used gear.

Les Paul Forum Member marshall1987's Avatar
    Feuding With "Devil Anse" Hatfield on the Tug Fork

I don't have a dog in the fight with regard to Reverb, however, the used guitar/amp market at present is FLOODED, SATURATED, and EXPONENTIATED, with listings for just about every major guitar and amplifier brand you can think of. Add to this unprecedented production numbers from new boutique brands competing with the major manufacturers.

I can think of two factors which have led up to the present situation; (1) enormous production and shipping numbers of major brands of guitars and amplifiers since about the year 2000; and (2) the steady and inexorable decline of guitar-based rock, R&B, and Pop music in the past two decades, coupled with fewer and fewer young people in the USA with a sincere desire to play acoustic and electric guitars.
    "Scan not a friend under a microscopic glass; you know his faults so let his foibles pass".

Sir Frank Crisp
    Friar Park
    London, England

Re: Reverb.com concern

Not trying to diminish any of the above posts but my experience using Reverb as a seller last year was great. Sold two guitars, two amps and a Boss pedal board all within 5 weeks. No complaints from me at all.

Some place along the line after reading some of these post's Reverb is not a public service , these Fees are minimal for the service provided for both buyer & seller .
    Ive never confused owning a bunch of high end gear with being some kind of a guitar player I'm a hack and I love guitars !

The myth :The most disturbing thing about buying a fake Les Paul is how my research after the purchase is received by Forum members ??? 2020

The Myth: If I would have lived with MOM & mooched till I was 48 I would play like Clapton !
    Think about it

I've never sold anything but I have bought a lot, bunches of a lot off their site. Every single deal went smoothly and never had any issue. Best option, imo and bitching about days when it use to take weeks??

When I sell it will be on Reverb. ebay has been awful for me.
    The older I get, the better I was.

I appreciate everyone's feedback regarding Reverb. Looks like some people have had good experiences, some bad. Let me clarify: the issue I have is with Reverb not with potential buyers/sellers. Specifically, I am still waiting on payout for an item I sold last week. When you sell an item on Reverb, you must enter a shipping tracking # into the system, once that's done, Reverb typically initiates payout to the seller within 1-3 business days. I contacted Reverb this morning and apparently all payouts from 1/10/20 on have not been processed. I don't know if this is human error or what, but I asked for a reduction in processing fees to make this right, and they refused. Any other business would try to make it right if the screw up was on their end. I've been buying/selling items with Reverb for a number of years, and this is the THIRD time that a payout has been delayed because of an internal error. I don't have a lot of money, I live paycheck to paycheck trying to pay my bills, and when Reverb doesn't get me my $$ in time, this has direct consequence to me.

One thing I have learned over the years of buying and selling through transaction tools online, whether Reverb or Paypal or eBay, you have to allow for the possibility of payment disputes and for your $$$ being tied up for a period of time, potentially.

I agree that Reverb was a great marketplace for years. I do believe they are experiencing a period of difficulty, recently. I don't know why, but there seems to be more dissatisfaction recently than in the past.

Les Paul Forum Member guitplayer's Avatar

I`ll sell there, but won`t buy used. Seems a little extreme to charge tax on something
    used and tax already collected when it was new.
    " Never Mind Your Face, just show us your card"

I agree on collecting sales tax on used items. It's the law, not selling site policy, and both eBay and Reverb comply.

I have uncovered an issue and reported it to Reverb. The sales tax they have been collecting is inaccurate; specifically the sales tax rate. Reverb CS has confirmed the error and last message I received is that they are working to correct it.

Here in Minnesota I buy amp new or used I pay sales tax if the seller collects sales tax .

States with sales Tax have been actively try to work arrangement with sellers out state !

Example for years I go and buy a high ticket Item in Wisconsin & dodge Minnesota sales tax .

This fall I was buying a John Deere compact tractor found the model I wanted in Wisconsin as we approached the bank transfer the Dealer informed me he collects state sales tax for Minnesota !

Now if trade Im only charge on the cash difference .

Part of my point the state can & will collect tax on what have you every time it sells .

Think about it

I don't sell much these days, but I have sold over a hundred guitars on EBay, and then started using Reverb a few years ago and probably sold at least 25 or so. Just one thing I want to say about Reverb's current fees....they used to be way less than EBay. In fact, Reverb's fees and competition is what led EBay to lower their fees for guitars a few years back. So thank you Reverb for that!!! Truth is, I liked and did well on both, but the reverb fees led me there and I use them as my go to online still. Had one or two minor issues, and they took care of them easily...and in my favor which was the correct thing. Ebay was starting to get extremely biased towards the sellers, to the point where a seller could not be sure they would be treated fairly. So again, great job Reverb.com. And YES, the sales tax sucks, but that have nothing to do with the web sites. The worst thing IMHO these days is the price of shipping, that has gone nuts and makes selling very difficult these days.

***Please check out my music***

https://www.soundclick.com/bands3/de...bandid=14302960296

Les Paul Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jtees4 View Post
    I don't sell much these days, but I have sold over a hundred guitars on EBay, and then started using Reverb a few years ago and probably sold at least 25 or so. Just one thing I want to say about Reverb's current fees....they used to be way less than EBay. In fact, Reverb's fees and competition is what led EBay to lower their fees for guitars a few years back. So thank you Reverb for that!!! Truth is, I liked and did well on both, but the reverb fees led me there and I use them as my go to online still. Had one or two minor issues, and they took care of them easily...and in my favor which was the correct thing. Ebay was starting to get extremely biased towards the sellers, to the point where a seller could not be sure they would be treated fairly. So again, great job Reverb.com. And YES, the sales tax sucks, but that have nothing to do with the web sites. The worst thing IMHO these days is the price of shipping, that has gone nuts and makes selling very difficult these days.
    I agree with you E bays Fees went out of control before Reverb was even Around
    And E Bay is Biased toward the Buyer as well as Paypal Over a 6 Years Period
    i sold many items on Reverb with very little problems if any and there customer service
    has always been very good and you don't have yo use PayPal they give you many more
    options for Payment sure fees are not cheap but nothing is cheap these days there still
    a good outlet to sell on and you pay for what you get i found E bay to be a hassle and
    Stopped using there services 12 years ago Craigslist works but its much slower but
    Cheaper than running a classified ad in the Newspaper like we all used to do
    To each his own

I had the same concerns with Reverb when I first started selling there. Payments took longer than expected and the fees and taxes took a sizeable bite out of profits. I understand the system better now and my expectations have been reset. Reverb is an incredible way to list or find instruments; reaches millions of people, and is so easy for sellers to revise listings as needed. It offers some niceties like comparisons, market price history of an instrument, product reviews, an excellent help chat line, and even music lessons. In all, it’s quite a comprehensive site for us.

And i just love looking at all the cool and rare guitars!

This phenomenon isn't necessarily limited to Reverb, but I have noticed the asking prices for vintage guitars, especially Gibsons and Fenders, are astronomical. For example....a 1970 Les Paul Goldtop for $7-8K, or a 1968 Gibson ES-335 for $8,000. Unrealistic sellers who list their guitars for 50% above the market, are constraining sales and lengthening the time it takes to sell inventory.
    "Scan not a friend under a microscopic glass; you know his faults so let his foibles pass".

Sir Frank Crisp
    Friar Park
    London, England

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner Tom Wittrock's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by marshall1987 View Post
    This phenomenon isn't necessarily limited to Reverb, but I have noticed the asking prices for vintage guitars, especially Gibsons and Fenders, are astronomical. For example....a 1970 Les Paul Goldtop for $7-8K, or a 1968 Gibson ES-335 for $8,000. Unrealistic sellers who list their guitars for 50% above the market, are constraining sales and lengthening the time it takes to sell inventory.
    Seems like those listings would help the other listings that are at normal pricing.
    Pauls to the walls!

Hüter der Flammen!

PLEASE SUPPORT www.burstserial.com !!
    Click here: www.burstserial.com

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Wittrock View Post
    Seems like those listings would help the other listings that are at normal pricing.
    Ordinarily you would think so....however, many sellers, especially those unfamiliar w/ current market prices, naively base their listings on Reverb (or eBay) ADVERTISED prices of "similar" guitars, and NOT completed sales of the same make/model/year. As a consequence, this tactic can mislead or influence many other potential sellers, who are seeking the highest price they can get.

Although there are exceptions, many "reputable" guitar dealers and others hope uninformed buyers will simply pay whatever the dealer asks. It's no surprise these wishful sellers seldom accept reasonable offers submitted using the "make an offer" option, instead holding out for full list price. .

As a consequence, an Internet auction site becomes flooded with grossly inflated list prices that don't reflect current market conditions. When I peruse the For Sale listings on Reverb or eBay, I'm bewildered with the sheer number of guitars for sale at fanciful, wild, and absurd prices. WTF are they thinking? Most of these guitars sit there for weeks or months unsold. This is not healthy for the guitar market IMO.

Sir Frank Crisp
    Friar Park
    London, England

Marshall1987 and Wittrock bring up good points about fair market value. For both buyers and sellers, what is a good place to find fair market value for instruments? I suppose the quick answer is “whatever the market will bear”. But is there a KBB equivalent for guitars?