• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Reverb.com concern

E.M.

I appreciate everyone's feedback regarding Reverb. Looks like some people have had good experiences, some bad. Let me clarify: the issue I have is with Reverb not with potential buyers/sellers. Specifically, I am still waiting on payout for an item I sold last week. When you sell an item on Reverb, you must enter a shipping tracking # into the system, once that's done, Reverb typically initiates payout to the seller within 1-3 business days. I contacted Reverb this morning and apparently all payouts from 1/10/20 on have not been processed. I don't know if this is human error or what, but I asked for a reduction in processing fees to make this right, and they refused. Any other business would try to make it right if the screw up was on their end. I've been buying/selling items with Reverb for a number of years, and this is the THIRD time that a payout has been delayed because of an internal error. I don't have a lot of money, I live paycheck to paycheck trying to pay my bills, and when Reverb doesn't get me my $$ in time, this has direct consequence to me.

mdubya

One thing I have learned over the years of buying and selling through transaction tools online, whether Reverb or Paypal or eBay, you have to allow for the possibility of payment disputes and for your $$$ being tied up for a period of time, potentially.

I agree that Reverb was a great marketplace for years. I do believe they are experiencing a period of difficulty, recently. I don't know why, but there seems to be more dissatisfaction recently than in the past.

guitplayer

I`ll sell there, but won`t buy used. Seems a little extreme to charge tax on something
used and tax already collected when it was new. :hmm

J.D.

I agree on collecting sales tax on used items. It's the law, not selling site policy, and both eBay and Reverb comply.

I have uncovered an issue and reported it to Reverb. The sales tax they have been collecting is inaccurate; specifically the sales tax rate. Reverb CS has confirmed the error and last message I received is that they are working to correct it.

AA00475Bassman

Here in Minnesota I buy amp new or used I pay sales tax if the seller collects sales tax .

States with sales Tax have been actively try to work arrangement with sellers out state !

Example for years I go and buy a high ticket Item in Wisconsin & dodge Minnesota sales tax .

This fall I was buying a John Deere compact tractor found the model I wanted in Wisconsin as we approached the bank transfer the Dealer informed me he collects state sales tax for Minnesota !

Now if trade Im only charge on the cash difference .

Part of my point the state can & will collect tax on what have you every time it sells .

jtees4

I don't sell much these days, but I have sold over a hundred guitars on EBay, and then started using Reverb a few years ago and probably sold at least 25 or so. Just one thing I want to say about Reverb's current fees....they used to be way less than EBay. In fact, Reverb's fees and competition is what led EBay to lower their fees for guitars a few years back. So thank you Reverb for that!!! Truth is, I liked and did well on both, but the reverb fees led me there and I use them as my go to online still. Had one or two minor issues, and they took care of them easily...and in my favor which was the correct thing. Ebay was starting to get extremely biased towards the sellers, to the point where a seller could not be sure they would be treated fairly. So again, great job Reverb.com. And YES, the sales tax sucks, but that have nothing to do with the web sites. The worst thing IMHO these days is the price of shipping, that has gone nuts and makes selling very difficult these days.

samsdad

I don't sell much these days, but I have sold over a hundred guitars on EBay, and then started using Reverb a few years ago and probably sold at least 25 or so. Just one thing I want to say about Reverb's current fees....they used to be way less than EBay. In fact, Reverb's fees and competition is what led EBay to lower their fees for guitars a few years back. So thank you Reverb for that!!! Truth is, I liked and did well on both, but the reverb fees led me there and I use them as my go to online still. Had one or two minor issues, and they took care of them easily...and in my favor which was the correct thing. Ebay was starting to get extremely biased towards the sellers, to the point where a seller could not be sure they would be treated fairly. So again, great job Reverb.com. And YES, the sales tax sucks, but that have nothing to do with the web sites. The worst thing IMHO these days is the price of shipping, that has gone nuts and makes selling very difficult these days.

I agree with you E bays Fees went out of control before Reverb was even Around
And E Bay is Biased toward the Buyer as well as Paypal Over a 6 Years Period
i sold many items on Reverb with very little problems if any and there customer service
has always been very good and you don't have yo use PayPal they give you many more
options for Payment sure fees are not cheap but nothing is cheap these days there still
a good outlet to sell on and you pay for what you get i found E bay to be a hassle and
Stopped using there services 12 years ago Craigslist works but its much slower but
Cheaper than running a classified ad in the Newspaper like we all used to do
To each his own

Buckeye

I had the same concerns with Reverb when I first started selling there. Payments took longer than expected and the fees and taxes took a sizeable bite out of profits. I understand the system better now and my expectations have been reset. Reverb is an incredible way to list or find instruments; reaches millions of people, and is so easy for sellers to revise listings as needed. It offers some niceties like comparisons, market price history of an instrument, product reviews, an excellent help chat line, and even music lessons. In all, it’s quite a comprehensive site for us.

And i just love looking at all the cool and rare guitars!

marshall1987

This phenomenon isn't necessarily limited to Reverb, but I have noticed the asking prices for vintage guitars, especially Gibsons and Fenders, are astronomical. For example....a 1970 Les Paul Goldtop for $7-8K, or a 1968 Gibson ES-335 for $8,000. Unrealistic sellers who list their guitars for 50% above the market, are constraining sales and lengthening the time it takes to sell inventory.

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
This phenomenon isn't necessarily limited to Reverb, but I have noticed the asking prices for vintage guitars, especially Gibsons and Fenders, are astronomical. For example....a 1970 Les Paul Goldtop for $7-8K, or a 1968 Gibson ES-335 for $8,000. Unrealistic sellers who list their guitars for 50% above the market, are constraining sales and lengthening the time it takes to sell inventory.

Seems like those listings would help the other listings that are at normal pricing. :hmm

marshall1987

Seems like those listings would help the other listings that are at normal pricing. :hmm

Ordinarily you would think so....however, many sellers, especially those unfamiliar w/ current market prices, naively base their listings on Reverb (or eBay) ADVERTISED prices of "similar" guitars, and NOT completed sales of the same make/model/year. As a consequence, this tactic can mislead or influence many other potential sellers, who are seeking the highest price they can get.

Although there are exceptions, many "reputable" guitar dealers and others hope uninformed buyers will simply pay whatever the dealer asks. It's no surprise these wishful sellers seldom accept reasonable offers submitted using the "make an offer" option, instead holding out for full list price. :dang.

As a consequence, an Internet auction site becomes flooded with grossly inflated list prices that don't reflect current market conditions. When I peruse the For Sale listings on Reverb or eBay, I'm bewildered with the sheer number of guitars for sale at fanciful, wild, and absurd prices. WTF are they thinking? Most of these guitars sit there for weeks or months unsold. This is not healthy for the guitar market IMO. :##

Buckeye

Marshall1987 and Wittrock bring up good points about fair market value. For both buyers and sellers, what is a good place to find fair market value for instruments? I suppose the quick answer is “whatever the market will bear”. But is there a KBB equivalent for guitars?