• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Reverb.com concern

E.M.

I've about had it with Reverb.com. Their fees are excessive and it takes too long to get a payout. Every time I reach out to customer service they blow smoke up my #ss. Anyone had luck with an alternative on-line marketplace?

renderit

Re: Reverb.com Sucks

I think their heart is in the right place. There ARE protections there you don't get elsewhere.

That said I had a problem getting them to refund me promptly on a high dollar (think 59 Bassman Tweed) purchase which fortunately I drove from Austin TX to Columbus Ohio to check out. The seller agreed with me that I was not trying to rip him off, I did not lowball or anything but pointed out several inconsistencies in the listing that were not readily obvious in the photos. He called them on the spot and said the deal was a no go and to refund me.

It took a few days to get my 9K back.

I still wish I had just bought it and fixed the problems, they were relatively minor but at the upper end of the scale I expected maybe too much...

fender69

Fees are excessive? Granted, they are not as cheap as they used to be but.....
Maybe you should use Ebay.

mdubya

I know it is not Reverb's fault, but the collection of sales tax is the deal killer for me. I will try to do private transactions as much as possible in the future. For guitars, forum based classifieds seems like the best place to shop now.

It is too, bad. Reverb was my major marketplace as a buyer.

I have had the same BS/blow smoke experience with them when contacting Customer Service and I was not impressed. As a matter of fact, I was offended.

I was in a position to burn the deal in question and cost them their $30 commission, but I chose to not to.

I do appreciate the protections they purport to provide, along with the easy transaction tool they provide.

E.M.

Fees are excessive? Granted, they are not as cheap as they used to be but.....
Maybe you should use Ebay.

Re: Ebay, yes maybe I will try it. Re: Fees, yes, I think their fees are excessive for the level of "service" they provide. I don't mind (and will willingly do so) pay a brick and mortar store a nice commission for handling a sale, but Reverb does nothing except provide a website for the listing. Yes, they provide certain buyer/seller protections that other's don't provide, but perhaps the biggest issue I have with Reverb is the fact that when they say they've processed a payout, it can take DAYS for the money to hit my bank account. For large transactions with thousands $$ involved, especially for overseas transactions, this is very stressful. I've tried communicating with them about this issue I find their customer service dismissive, rude, and unhelpful.

scv8

Does anybody know what percentage their fee is, or is it a flat rate?

Thanks

E.M.

Does anybody know what percentage their fee is, or is it a flat rate?

Thanks

The base fee is 3.5%, if you use Reverb payments (buyer uses credit card or affirm), they add on another 2.7%, if the buyer uses payal, it can add on another 2.9%. While these percentages may not sound like a lot, they add up.

mdubya

If you are selling, I would use Reverb as a marketing tool to list across many classified forums.

Make the Reverb price high enough to cover potential fees.

Use the classifieds to advertise non-Reverb pricing.

JMHO.

scv8

The base fee is 3.5%, if you use Reverb payments (buyer uses credit card or affirm), they add on another 2.7%, if the buyer uses payal, it can add on another 2.9%. While these percentages may not sound like a lot, they add up.

Thanks! That is significant and really adds up.

sonar

My use of Reverb dropped dramatically over the past 24 months. As mentioned above, too many variables jack up the final price.

samsdad

My use of Reverb dropped dramatically over the past 24 months. As mentioned above, too many variables jack up the final price.
I Have been on reverb selling since 2013 and never had any problems
The thing with reverb is the 3% selling Fee is your advertising fee
and there Credit card fees are under 3% If you are a preferred seller
So you need to include that in your sales Price on Reverb SayIf you advertised In Vintage Guitar
Which is a monthly classified you would pay more and not be able to change your listing
Till the next issue in print where on reverb you can add and change instantly with pictures
as Far as Getting Paid with Reverb I get it the next day But you need to provide a tracking number
when you send it and not wait for the customer to give you feedback plus your should use a major bank
for your Reverb account that Processes quickly some banks are much slower than others
I Thought E bays Selling Fees where higher and no matter where you sell and use a credit card for payment
you will get a 1099 Form for that year if it exceeds certain $ limits as far as sales tax goes thats the federal
and state governments catching on after all these years the Free ride on that is over now and its happening
in all internet sales no matter if its Car Parts,Vitamins,Chainsaws etc maybe Craigslist is the last Frontier I don't Know?

AA00475Bassman

Love looking have bought a few pieces, as always buyer be cautious! I stick with sellers with store fronts . If it’s Gibson purchase has to be a dealer period on line or in hand .

Munoz478

I know it is not Reverb's fault, but the collection of sales tax is the deal killer for me. I will try to do private transactions as mouse clicker much as possible in the future. For guitars, forum based classifieds seems like the best place to shop now.

It is too, bad. Reverb was my major marketplace as a buyer.

I have had the same BS/blow smoke experience with them when contacting Customer Service and I was not impressed. As a matter of fact, I was offended.

I was in a position to burn the deal in question and cost them their $30 commission, but I chose to not to.

I do appreciate the protections they purport to provide, along with the easy transaction tool they provide.

but perhaps the biggest issue I have with Reverb is the fact that when they say they've processed a payout, it can take DAYS for the money to hit my bank account.

akstrat61

An option that I have been using for years is to do a advanced Google search using Craigslist.org as a domain. This will give you all the CL listings in the US for a particular item, i.e. Les Paul, Fender Tweed. Guys like me just rying to sell stuff locally, no fees, no tax. I typically make contatct, floowed by a phone call, work a deal out send money, and have it shipped. It really has worked well in most all cases. Just a thought.:jim

musekatcher

Its all about expectations. Now that you know the fees, policy, and response time, Reverb can actually exceed expectations. Its larger than Ebay's music offering, and dwarfs Ebay for used gear.

marshall1987

I don't have a dog in the fight with regard to Reverb, however, the used guitar/amp market at present is FLOODED, SATURATED, and EXPONENTIATED, with listings for just about every major guitar and amplifier brand you can think of. Add to this unprecedented production numbers from new boutique brands competing with the major manufacturers.

I can think of two factors which have led up to the present situation; (1) enormous production and shipping numbers of major brands of guitars and amplifiers since about the year 2000; and (2) the steady and inexorable decline of guitar-based rock, R&B, and Pop music in the past two decades, coupled with fewer and fewer young people in the USA with a sincere desire to play acoustic and electric guitars. :dang

gakees

Not trying to diminish any of the above posts but my experience using Reverb as a seller last year was great. Sold two guitars, two amps and a Boss pedal board all within 5 weeks. No complaints from me at all.

AA00475Bassman

Some place along the line after reading some of these post's Reverb is not a public service , these Fees are minimal for the service provided for both buyer & seller .

Big Al

I've never sold anything but I have bought a lot, bunches of a lot off their site. Every single deal went smoothly and never had any issue. Best option, imo and bitching about days when it use to take weeks??

When I sell it will be on Reverb. ebay has been awful for me.