• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Do Any Firebirds Come Stock From The Factory With a Maestro??

JimFog

I have a friend who's looking for a Firebird with a Maestro trem, and was wondering if there are any stock models (recent or otherwise) that were built that way.

Thanks!

mdubya

If he is willing to go Custom Shop, then yes.

https://reverb.com/p/gibson-custom-shop-64-firebird-iii-reissue-1998-2016

knzf6zgsulw6qg2f1wor.jpg

jesselun

Hey everyone...I'm the "friend". Thanks Jim!
So, I'm looking to find out if Gibson made a Pelham Blue Firebird V with a factory Maestro. Gibson appears to be unable to tell me. They've been reissuing them for the last few years, and I see SOME with Maestros (I want the long Maestro)...and some without. So is everyone just adding them after-market?

Not sure I need to go Custom Shop on this, but didn't want to buy the guitar and add if they made one with a factory installed.

And Google has not been helpful so far.

Thanks

Triplet

Yes, they do make them. I have a 2004, I think, FBVII with the long Maestro in Pelham blue.

jesselun

Yes, they do make them. I have a 2004, I think, FBVII with the long Maestro in Pelham blue.

I've seen the VIIs, for sure...wondering about the V though. I can never figure out what to do with a third pickup . :)

Triplet

I've seen the VIIs, for sure...wondering about the V though. I can never figure out what to do with a third pickup . :)

My middle is disconnected and lowered all the way down. I replaced the N & B pups with black early 70's mini's.

JimFog

I would find the FBV you absolutely love, then add a Maestro, "friend". Otherwise, I think you're limiting the possibilities of finding THE right guitar.

jesselun

I would find the FBV you absolutely love, then add a Maestro, "friend". Otherwise, I think you're limiting the possibilities of finding THE right guitar.

It could go that way, "friend"...but I want someone, on earth, to tell me if Gibson did one, standard.
I gotta figure someone knows.

Plus, you'll recall that that SG I added one to "lost value" (or didn't gain any) because I put a $300 Maestro on a $600 guitar. I'd hate to have that happen to a $1000 guitar!

mdubya

It could go that way, "friend"...but I want someone, on earth, to tell me if Gibson did one, standard.
I gotta figure someone knows.

Plus, you'll recall that that SG I added one too "lost value" (or didn't gain any) because I put a $300 Maestro on a $600 guitar. I'd hate to have that happen to a $1000 guitar!

They have not made an FB V Standard (non-Custom Shop) model with a Maestro in the modern era. Certainly not in Pelham blue.

Vibramate has a Maestro adapter in development, but nothing you can buy. You can get a Vibramate for a Bigsby, though.

Adding the Maestro to a stop tail model will, without a doubt, devalue the guitar.

Even going Custom Shop, you are going to have to search out a Pelham Blue FB V with the Maestro and it won't be an easy search.

I may be wrong, but to my knowledge, Gibson hasn't put a Maestro on and Standard Model Firebird in close to 50 years.

You may find a Japanese market only FB V in Pelham with a Maestro. Best of luck.

full

jesselun

They have not made an FB V Standard (non-Custom Shop) model with a Maestro in the modern era. Certainly not in Pelham blue.

Vibramate has a Maestro adapter in development, but nothing you can buy. You can get a Vibramate for a Bigsby, though.

Adding the Maestro to a stop tail model will, without a doubt, devalue the guitar.

Even going Custom Shop, you are going to have to search out a Pelham Blue FB V with the Maestro and it won't be an easy search.

I may be wrong, but to my knowledge, Gibson hasn't put a Maestro on and Standard Model Firebird in close to 50 years.

You may find a Japanese market only FB V in Pelham with a Maestro. Best of luck.

full

Thank you for this...this helps. I've definitely seen a few Custom Shop ones that fit the bill, but knowing that the Japanese ones had them, factory, is super helpful

latestarter

I recall there was/is a 65 re issue that came out in Pelham Blue and had a Maestro. NEver seen in the wild though. Great colour.

Last edited:

AA00475Bassman

When I bought my 2016 USA Firebird V the guitar had a chrome Maestro & Stoptail piece inserts the dealer said it was stock ordered . I removed the Maestro & left it on the counter .
0zymoQa.jpg
[/IMG]

mdubya

I found this recent demo of a 2016 Limited Edition Pelham Blue with Maestro. I believe this is the same Japanese Market guitar I mentioned before.

Damn, now I am going to need one. :hank