• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Input jack location on J-180

goldTopDeluxe

I'm about to install a K&K Pure Mini into my J-180. This will be my second K&K PM installation into a guitar and I wanna do it different this time.

I hate the whole combined endpin / Jack socket thing. I got them on an LR Baggs equipped guitar, a guitar with a Fishman, and the K&Ks. They all have the same issue. It doesn't take long for them to come loose and they constantly need tightening / at risk of the strap falling off.

Instead I want to replace and the endpin with something like what is used on my Matons (easy enough) - like the Nuetrik in this picture.
I have a couple of Matons which I've owned for close to 20 years. Not ONCE has the jack ever come loose.

750-nmj4hc-s.jpg

I also much prefer having my jack located in the same position as a Les Paul, which is what my main question is about - placement.

There is an extra block of wood where the endpin normally goes so is more stable and will probably hold up to the constant plugging in/plugging out.
I've had a look and the J180 has no additional reinforcement in the area I want to drill into. I'm worried it wont hold up.

What do you guys think? Good or bad idea? Anybody had experience doing something similar?

Wally

hut, which is based 9n experience repairing guitars with the jack placed on the treble butt bout, is that you are risking breaking that side out. IF you have to do it, I would suggest that a carefully prepared reinforcement be glued into that area. I do this for repairs of break outs there....on Gibson ES guitars with jack ps in that area. The piece needs to be a matched to that curve there, and the thickness of the piece needs to be of adequate thickness to prevent further damage...under normal use. That might preclude use of the jack you sow there because there is not enough jack to come through the thickness of the side and the reinforcement piece...ime. That thickness will..or should be imho...around 3/16” total. Without reinforcement, get Ready to have a broken side at some point...it happens too often.
For my purposes, a good Switchcraft with a longer reach is a lifetime jack. I don’t care for plastic jacks. Ommv......but when I have guitars with metal switchcraft jacks that are over 50 years old, that is as good of a recommendation as I can ask for.