The Fender Forum
NEW! LPF Facebook Page
NEW! LPF Instagram Page
Merchandise & Donations
NEW! Burst Serial Log Home Page
LPF Homesite
Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    Les Paul Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Posts
    6

    Non string-thru talpiece?

    Hello, new member here with a Gibson Les Paul studio which I love (except it's a mess to tune for C standard), I'm trying to get my string economy better optimised and I'm using it for much recording at home I want "fresh" strings in many circumstances, hence I'm letting them take a bath in denatured alcohol once in a while and having a few sets on rotation. However with the string-thru tailpiece I tend to damage the area of the string which is wound around the tuning peg when pulling it out/in a few times, I've been looking for non-string thru tailpieces (as in where the string goes into a slot, like a Sandberg bass for example) but I cant seem to find any. Which leads me to two questions: Are there such tailpieces? If there are not, is there a reason for it(worse tone etc?).

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    Les Paul Forum Member
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    178

    Re: Non string-thru talpiece?

    The double neck EDS1275 has very simple, very ugly, slotted tailpieces on both the 12 and 6 string: http://legacy.gibson.com/Products/El...oubleneck.aspx

  3. #3
    Les Paul Forum Member
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    178

    Re: Non string-thru talpiece?


  4. #4
    Les Paul Forum Member
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    178

    Re: Non string-thru talpiece?

    Osse: what string gauges do you use for C standard tuning? I neglected to note that if you were to try one of the string through tailpieces, you would need to fabricate a mounting plate to marry it to the existing tailpiece bolts and/or the curve of the body.

  5. #5
    Les Paul Forum Member Don's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    5,584

    Re: Non string-thru talpiece?

    Is the fine tuning tailpiece used on Lucille sting through?

    I had an early '80s Ibanez Iceman and Destroyer. They both had tailpieces with angle slots rather than string through holes. I'm not sure if that's available and if it will fit Gibson studs and spacing.

  6. #6
    Les Paul Forum Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    103

    Re: Non string-thru talpiece?

    What strings are you using? I could see the merit over time if you're using Unicorn pube strings or something but this does seem like a ludicrous solution to save a couple of quid on a set of stings!

  7. #7
    Les Paul Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Posts
    6

    Re: Non string-thru talpiece?

    Quote Originally Posted by rick c View Post
    Osse: what string gauges do you use for C standard tuning? I neglected to note that if you were to try one of the string through tailpieces, you would need to fabricate a mounting plate to marry it to the existing tailpiece bolts and/or the curve of the body.
    I'm using 12-60, I've been looking at that tailpiece actually but as you say, with the curved body of the les paul and studs there would be too much involvement in trying to fit one of these bridges and it would probably not look very good But for a flat-top guitar they can probably work nice! Thanks for the suggestion

  8. #8
    Les Paul Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Posts
    6

    Re: Non string-thru talpiece?

    Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    Is the fine tuning tailpiece used on Lucille sting through?

    I had an early '80s Ibanez Iceman and Destroyer. They both had tailpieces with angle slots rather than string through holes. I'm not sure if that's available and if it will fit Gibson studs and spacing.
    Looks like that, yes. I've researched some more and have seen Schaller also has one of these fine-tune tailpieces, Schaller Tail piece FS its called. I think both retrofit with the gibson studs I've looked at reviews of them both and they seem to be nice.

  9. #9
    Les Paul Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Posts
    6

    Re: Non string-thru talpiece?

    Quote Originally Posted by Shakey View Post
    What strings are you using? I could see the merit over time if you're using Unicorn pube strings or something but this does seem like a ludicrous solution to save a couple of quid on a set of stings!
    You might be right, but for a recording student, I figured it might be a good solution to get a few more uses out of each set (and not sting myself on the string when trying to get them thru the tailpiece). I'm not using any special/expensive string, D'addario EXL148. The "cheapest" I can get away with which still sound good and has a nice tension for C standard.

  10. #10
    Les Paul Forum Member
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    178

    Re: Non string-thru talpiece?

    Duhhhhhh..... I have a TP6 tailpiece on my ES Artist and it will fit a Les Paul Custom's original posts; I tried it for a while. This is the quickest but not cheapest fix for Osse's problem. Here's a picture for reference. There are non OEM ones available for around $50. Where are you located Osse?
    https://reverb.com/item/16565566-gib...piece-nos-gold

  11. #11
    Les Paul Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Posts
    6

    Re: Non string-thru talpiece?

    Quote Originally Posted by rick c View Post
    Duhhhhhh..... I have a TP6 tailpiece on my ES Artist and it will fit a Les Paul Custom's original posts; I tried it for a while. This is the quickest but not cheapest fix for Osse's problem. Here's a picture for reference. There are non OEM ones available for around $50. Where are you located Osse?
    https://reverb.com/item/16565566-gib...piece-nos-gold
    I'm located in Sweden, I can see a few Chinese/Korean made on ebay, otherwise it's the Schaller one which is a little less than half the price of the gibby. https://www.banzaimusic.com/Schaller...tin-Pearl.html

  12. #12
    Les Paul Forum Member
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    178

    Re: Non string-thru talpiece?

    Hi Osse: I can't tell how the Schaller one fits. Is the spacing and threads of the posts the same as the Les Paul? I have a spare, gold, Gibson TP6 if you get desperate.

  13. #13
    Les Paul Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Posts
    6

    Re: Non string-thru talpiece?

    Quote Originally Posted by rick c View Post
    Hi Osse: I can't tell how the Schaller one fits. Is the spacing and threads of the posts the same as the Les Paul? I have a spare, gold, Gibson TP6 if you get desperate.
    Thanks for the offer Rick, actually I found something very similar to what I looked for, https://www.meinlshop.de/en/ibanez/s...black-2qc1wq3k
    The Ibanez quick change tailpiece. I'm not sure that I can get it shipped to where I live yet tho, next week I'll find out. Otherwise I might be interested in your tp-6! Hope you'll have a nice weekend

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Scroll Down And Click On All Of Our Sponsors' Logos For Their Websites!



i