• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

What are your general opinions on the 2015 line?

Bdzombie

Hello everyone, as the title suggests what are your opinions on the 2015 line? I often see them on reverb for ridiculously low prices. I know they were crazy expensive when they came out but they all seemed to have tanked in the resale market. Was the 2015 really that bad of year for the LP? From my understanding, it was the year they celebrated Les Pauls 100th birthday. Because of this, they changed the signature on the headstock, GForce Tuners, Adjustable titanium nut, Les Paul hologram, Slim/wide neck profile, and gold hardshell case. I often hear about how bad they're but most of the features (e.i. tuners, nut, and case) can be replaced with tradtional ones. Is the hate towards them really justified and how do they hold up 5 years later?

miczap

Hello everyone, as the title suggests what are your opinions on the 2015 line? I often see them on reverb for ridiculously low prices. I know they were crazy expensive when they came out but they all seemed to have tanked in the resale market. Was the 2015 really that bad of year for the LP? From my understanding, it was the year they celebrated Les Pauls 100th birthday. Because of this, they changed the signature on the headstock, GForce Tuners, Adjustable titanium nut, Les Paul hologram, Slim/wide neck profile, and gold hardshell case. I often hear about how bad they're but most of the features (e.i. tuners, nut, and case) can be replaced with tradtional ones. Is the hate towards them really justified and how do they hold up 5 years later?

As a happy owner of a Traditional from 2015, I can tell you that the most annoying bits are the hologram and weirdo signature.

The zero fret is not an issue- in fact it works quite well
The G-Force unit is bulky and kinda ugly, but easy to swap out- and though it's spotty, mine really works quite well.
The case is fantastic.

I also think that the "1959 Tribute Humbucker" they released that year was actually a bit of a dark horse and have some really strong, unique tones.

If you don't care about the hologram or signature- these are total bargains.

Bdzombie

As a happy owner of a Traditional from 2015, I can tell you that the most annoying bits are the hologram and weirdo signature.

But isnt that part of the appeal for the 2015 line? Its suppose to honor Les himself for his 100th birthday. From the images I've seen online the hologram looks kind of neat with Les waving at you. Although im not sure how it looks in person. The Signature on the other hand looks odd but fitting for his 100th birthday.

metropolis

I have a 2015 Deluxe which I bought already discounted, late in 2015. I play it the least out of all my Les Pauls but I'm not selling it, it does a certain thing the others can't do.

To echo Miczap...

+ Nut / zero fret: I swapped mine for titanium (free from Gibson) and I really like it
Wider neck: Not in love with it but I don't hate it
Asymetrical neck: Don't really notice it
- Hologram & signature: Don't like it. Would love to change it
- Robot Tuners: Hate them and replaced them
- Boost circuit: Hated it and replaced the whole guts
- Pickups: Hated them - it had really hot firebird pickups which I've replaced with classic mini humbuckers

Anyway, here's my 2015 as it stands today.

TruR2gAl.jpg

mattnew33

They certainly get a bad rap.....

I've got about 10 guitars, from $100 to $6000 or so... my 2015 LP jr is currently one of my favorites.

The wider neck takes some adjustment to get used to... maybe 5-10 seconds, but after a couple plays its no different than switching guitars from a Les Paul to a Strat with a different scale, just takes a second. Acoustically the guitar is awesome, and I've got a lollar p-90 in it, so its awesome plugged in too...

The cosmetic stuff..... meh, considering how cheap they are compared to 2014 and 2016 LP's... and how great they seem to sound... I'll get over the personal cosmetic quibbles....

mattnew33

But isnt that part of the appeal for the 2015 line? Its suppose to honor Les himself for his 100th birthday. From the images I've seen online the hologram looks kind of neat with Les waving at you. Although im not sure how it looks in person. The Signature on the other hand looks odd but fitting for his 100th birthday.

TBH I regularly forget the hologram is there.... you don't see it playing, and you don't see it when the guitar is hanging on the wall....same for the signature... I just don't notice it after a while...

Axis39

I have two - a Less+ P-90 and a Double Cut Special P-90 (rod magnet P-90S pickups).

They are both nicely finished and have held up well.

I love the wider neck and zero fret! The wider neck was actually a thing that drove me to purchase the DC Special. I also really like the different headstock logo. 'The scrawl' as many people put it actually appeals to me as something special, different.

I bought both guitars at a good discount and do really like both. The Less+ has become one of my most played/gigged guitars and is one of my favorite of all time. The DC Special has seen a lot of gigging time, but the neck is a little shallow front to back. That is my problem with any DC Special I've found from Gibson. The wider neck makes up for a little of it, but in the end, it's just too shallow... But, that's not a '15 feature. So, can't knock it for that. I actually like the rod magnet P-90's too. Gives it a slightly different personality, but still P-90-enough. (I like them so much, the replacement guitar is getting a custom wound rod magnet P-90 in the neck).

I was thinking I would switch out the tuners, in fact, I purchased replacement tuners... But, several years in, I haven't gone to the effort and the robotic tuners have held up for me.

As with any modern Gibson, I don't care for the pot turning tension or taper. So, I did replace the PCBs with CTS vintage tapers for the volumes, and, I think I used Bournes for the tones. It wasn't that the PCB or stock pots were bad, that was truly just personal preference. I kept the PCB's (and connectors) in the cases in case anyone ever wanted to return the guitar to stock.

I also installed the titanium nuts, which Gibson sent me for free as well. They're a nice upgrade. I do kinda like the zero fret and easily adjustable nut height.

The specific '15 features don't bother me. I am not a huge fan of the hologram sticker, but I honestly forget about it. Only time I think about it is when I read threads online of people bemoaning them. LOL

As with any other guitar, if I don't get along with the neck, it's pretty much a non-starter. I would not hesitate to purchase another 2015 model, as long as it has a bigger, thick neck. No slim necks for me, no matter how wide. But, that's personal preference, of course, and again not a 2015 specific thing.

jtees4

I had a 2015 SG. It was very nice. It was light, the horns were sculpted like the old schools SG. It sounded great. I liked the nut. The wider neck became a problem for me, not really the width, but the extra space from the edge of the fretboard to both e strings. In fairness, I have hand and finger issues, so I am probably more sensitive than most folks, but it ultimately hurt my hands. It really was a great guitar, well except for the LP Signature thing :hmm

metropolis

As an update, based on info in another thread I've swapped the titanium nut / zero fret for the tusq version and am pleased with it - it feels and looks like an improvement.

Fish Fingers

2015 Les Paul Deluxe.
Love the neck, the fit and finish of the thing.
Made a few changes though.
Hipshot open gear tuners.
Zeroglide nut.
Creamery pickups.
Vintage wiring.
Callaham bridge and Kluson aluminium stop bar..
I only lobbed out the 'improvements'.
Can't lob the poxy hologram though, too much work.
I'm all Mick Ronson and Marc Bolan now.