The Fender Forum
NEW! LPF Facebook Page
NEW! LPF Instagram Page
Merchandise & Donations
NEW! Burst Serial Log Home Page
LPF Homesite
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Les Paul Forum Member GuitarMikey's Avatar

Re: I can't hear a difference. Have Gibson nailed it?

Is the difference worth an extra 150-350k ?
    Can the average person hear the difference listening at home or on their radio cruising down the highway?
    That's up to each individual

I feel like in most cases it just comes down to bragging rights.
    Last edited by GuitarMikey; 01-23-20 at 10:03 AM.
    GuitarMikey

Les Paul Forum Member

Both guitars in the clip sounded great to my ear, and were produced under the same limited fidelity available on YouTube.

I'm assuming the recordings were done where the only variable was the guitars, given that, if we hear a difference between the two we have a reasonable basis for our opinions.

What can't be captured (And its all been said before) is the emotion, the way a certain guitar feels and responds to your playing, it can't be captured and reduced to a digitised bit rate.

No two Les Pauls ever sound the same and that's how I like it

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarMikey View Post
    Can the average person hear the difference listening at home or on their radio cruising down the highway?

The average person canít tell the difference between Beck and Jeff Beck. Does that mean there isnít one?

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner Tom Wittrock's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jimmi View Post
    The average person canít tell the difference between Beck and Jeff Beck. Does that mean there isnít one?
    ll
    Pauls to the walls!

HŁter der Flammen!

PLEASE SUPPORT www.burstserial.com !!
    Click here: www.burstserial.com

All Access/Backstage Pass Wilko's Avatar

For the record: here are my two favorite Les Pauls acoustic. I've owned many including a 1956 conversion that I sold a couple of years back. These two are right up there with and better than some bursts I've played...

Last edited by garywright; 01-27-20 at 05:48 PM. Reason: per recent exchanges ..not ricks playing :)

that ainít sayin much for what you feel

Les Paul Forum Member GuitarMikey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by garywright View Post
    that ainít sayin much for what you feel
    GuitarMikey

Les Paul Forum Member marshall1987's Avatar
    Feuding With "Devil Anse" Hatfield on the Tug Fork

Quote Originally Posted by Wilko View Post
    For the record: here are my two favorite Les Pauls acoustic. I've owned many including a 1956 conversion that I sold a couple of years back. These two are right up there with and better than some bursts I've played...

Thanks for the demo....but help me with this....is the audio overdubbed or what? . On my Mac it isn't even close to being in sync with the audio.

So what's the takeaway?
    "Scan not a friend under a microscopic glass; you know his faults so let his foibles pass".

Sir Frank Crisp
    Friar Park
    London, England

All Access/Backstage Pass Wilko's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by marshall1987 View Post
    Thanks for the demo....but help me with this....is the audio overdubbed or what? . On my Mac it isn't even close to being in sync with the audio.

So what's the takeaway?
    Crazy out of sync! damn. THe takewaway for me is that the guitars are close enough in many cases. Very good acoustic tone that is a hallmark of the vintage Les Paul.

Les Paul Forum Member

i love old les pauls. i can pour my soul and creativity into my guitar because it is a treasure to me that i have bonded with. the fact that it is old really makes me feel complete putting all of my music energy into it. it has been around longer than i have (not by much)the old les pauls were great when i was 12 and they havent changed. i will still be bonded with my old les paul when i kick the bucket. its all about how you feel about your guitar. it doesnt have to be old, but i have had all kinds of newer ones i just didnt bond with and wound up keeping the old ones because i was just more inspired when playing them.
    Quote Originally Posted by marshall1987 View Post
    There is much more to the guitar playing experience than simply registering the quality of the sound that you hear. Given enough time, practice, and instruction, an accomplished guitar player may bond with, and "become one with", his/her prized instrument.

In many instances, prized vintage instruments constructed from high quality tone woods, and built in low quantities by skilled luthiers, are capable of delivering an exquisite and sublime experience for the player, that just isn't possible with newer mass produced instruments.

Les Paul Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by AA00475Bassman View Post
    I have heard JB say 5% & friend I will never get that 5% out of a late 50's Les paul over one of my many fine Historic's . I think a lot of people reach for the stars & and lust for these guitars . Do you really think your sound will change that much ?
    no but my enthusiasm will when playing it.

Les Paul Forum Member

its not bragging rights. its 'the club' and that club gets you in with pro players and investors that all have direct contacts in the music industry that will give you a 45% better chance of getting a song out. your 'buying in' and if you have talent.. you might have a 15 percent chance of going somewhere. do you want to sell your house for that chance? if not.. then your not a go getter. if your wife keeps her job at walmart then you will be ok.

Les Paul Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Wittrock View Post
    ll
    except 'beck' is the most bland boring person you will ever meet and 'beck' is the most talented person you will ever meet.

Les Paul Forum Member latestarter's Avatar

It's not only about tone, right?

It's the kick. It's the responsibility of owning a proper rare piece? It's the smell. It's the authenticity (no Gibson employee jokes please). The loose fitting case. The groovy hide n seek top. The fact they got it THIS RIGHT, in 1959.

Modern versions do not deliver this specific kick...this high. I do think they deliver the tone pretty good. But I get a different buzz every time I am privileged to pick up an old high end quality instrument (regardless of brand to be fair). Don't ask me to intellectualise the experience.

It's so much more than the tone.

Thank goodness they sound good too.
    Otherwise known as Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by agogetr View Post
    its not bragging rights. its 'the club' and that club gets you in with pro players and investors that all have direct contacts in the music industry that will give you a 45% better chance of getting a song out. your 'buying in' and if you have talent.. you might have a 15 percent chance of going somewhere. do you want to sell your house for that chance? if not.. then your not a go getter. if your wife keeps her job at walmart then you will be ok.
    Huh ?

Quote Originally Posted by agogetr View Post
    No.