• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

LP Classic Doesn’t Exist (except it’s in my living room)

SensativeOnion

I bought a Les Paul Classic in the middle of last year partially on the basis that it was a 2001, to pair with my beloved 2000 Classic LE. After some investigating it seems the serial number rules would indicate it’s a 2013 (13 ####). I can live with that however I can’t find any information about Gibson having made Classics in 2013. Nor did they make any in an Ebony finish (as it was in its original state) in 2001. It’s got plenty of indicators that it’s not fake (green inlays, abr-1, etc) but was hoping I might find some answers here on the LPF. Thanks!

PS - I’ll post some pics tomorrow after I go luging through this internet worm hole over night.

SensativeOnion

dsfubr1jelrpvqkt7s1r.jpgScreen Shot 2020-01-06 at 10.20.37 AM.jpgScreen Shot 2020-01-06 at 10.21.14 AM.jpgScreen Shot 2020-01-06 at 10.21.24 AM.jpg

Obviously a lot of parts changed out (pickups, knobs, truss rod cover, poker chip removed)

Here it is in it's current state after having the top refinished and the hardware swapped out:
DSC_0851.jpg

mattnew33

Googling 2001 Les Paul Classic Black turns up a fair number, they do start with 01 though... and not 13....

interesting...

SensativeOnion

Googling 2001 Les Paul Classic Black turns up a fair number, they do start with 01 though... and not 13....

interesting...

Most of the google results I got were links to Reverb & EBay for searches but not individual guitars. Except for a single Black 2001 Classic with 3 pickups 😍.

What are the chances they over shot the allotted 9999 series numbers and made another ~2500, then having to get creative?
Yeah, no i didn’t think so either...

mattnew33

Most of the google results I got were links to Reverb & EBay for searches but not individual guitars. Except for a single Black 2001 Classic with 3 pickups 😍.

What are the chances they over shot the allotted 9999 series numbers and made another ~2500, then having to get creative?
Yeah, no i didn’t think so either...

I found a couple lefty's too...
not that that helps you much....

it is possible it got restamped in 2013.. .any ideas if it was refinished before you? I was playing around with the saturation and colors on the picture of the back of the headstock and its "possible" there is a repair there and a veneer... I'm not saying there is..extremely hard to tell from the photos but it looks like its possible, i see 2 edges ( doubles ) in the red circles and an odd jagged mark in the blue circle I can't make go away messing with the colors... if it got restamped in this process it is possible it got a new number.

Screen Shot 2020-01-07 at 2.49.46 PM.jpg

I like the new color....

SensativeOnion

I found a couple lefty's too...
not that that helps you much....

it is possible it got restamped in 2013.. .any ideas if it was refinished before you? I was playing around with the saturation and colors on the picture of the back of the headstock and its "possible" there is a repair there and a veneer... I'm not saying there is..extremely hard to tell from the photos but it looks like its possible, i see 2 edges ( doubles ) in the red circles and an odd jagged mark in the blue circle I can't make go away messing with the colors... if it got restamped in this process it is possible it got a new number.

View attachment 10810

I like the new color....

Thanks! I’m pretty happy with it too.
Thanks also for your consideration and CSI color investigation skills. I think what you are seeing are just reflections in the black finish.
Here’s a shot where you can see some of the circled area has been exposed on the neck:
45AE5DB4-8B50-4679-AAD4-9F1961C14EBB.jpg
Pardon my messy desk.