• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

ES-335 headstock

splatrecords

Hi members.
I got a question about ES-335 from 1962.
It’s about the finish on the front of the headstock.
I have seen som with black glossy lacquer finich and i have seen som with some kind of acrylic front like it’s been sanded very light.
Anybody who can help me with this on especially a 1962 with block inlay and PAT pickups.
Thanks for hopefully some great answers.

reddeluxe

I owned an extremely early block marker '62 sunburst ES 335. Originally factory Bigsby equipped with the CUSTOM MADE plaque covering the stop tail stud holes. However, the pickups were both PAF stickered in mine....it is not uncommon to have a mix or matching pair of PAF/Pat. numbered pickups in ES 335s from '62. As to your original question, the headstock for any factory 335 (or ANY ES style guitar) from that era would be lacquer painted, black with a high gloss clearcoat, then buffed to give a very shiny surface. Gibson's lacquer finishes of that era were thin and can be damaged through solvents, dirt and grit, reaction with certain formulas of rubber/plastic, heat, physical scuffing, etc. and may become dull if not cared for and cleaned. Hope this helps.

Last edited: