• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Splashing the cash on a 59 Custom Shop...

8bit Barry

Hi there - first post here.

i have done what research I can on the 60th Anniversary 1959’s here in the UK, trawling around guitar shops playing these models, but came up with a fabulous sounding 1959 VOS.

This is a 1959 VOS (non 60th Anniversay) serial starts 97 so is this 2017?
https://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/prod...om-shop-hand-picked-les-paul-standard-vos-195

Considering the expense of these guitars, should I perhaps take the opportunity of this anniversary year and keep looking for a great sounding 60th Anniversary? Does this appear overpriced? It’s got a real bark to it, like a telecaster on steroids, but deep and loud.

I’m not new to Les Pauls, but I have limited access to quality shops where I live, so any words of wisdom are really helpful.

AA00475Bassman

I would find a 60th if the extra money is in your comfort level !

Really like the tops & paint on many of the 60th posted here .

Last edited:

J.D.

97 is a 2017 (or 2007).

60th anniversary really means nothing. 2017 will be basically the same spec.

8bit Barry

97 is a 2017 (or 2007).

60th anniversary really means nothing. 2017 will be basically the same spec.

thats encouraging.

i just tried another eight guitars in north London and none of them were the one. Surprisingly all the 60th guitars I tried we’re eclipsed by non-60th 59’s and a 58 which was top of the list, but still not as much of a ripper as the one in the link... I’m off for another go

8bit Barry

I would find a 60th if the extra money is in your comfort level !

they’re all so expensive, I'm looking at this as a one time only! If I find ‘the one’ I’ll invest, sell other guitars and then hope the guitar will eclipse the inevitable sinking feeling of financial decline...

Big Al

I bought my number 1 in 2000. It was a hard thing to spend so much dough on a guitar. I tried many. This was the one. It still is. I don't care one bit about monetary value. I found the one.

I already have received my investment back x 100.

JPP-1

they’re all so expensive, I'm looking at this as a one time only! If I find ‘the one’ I’ll invest, sell other guitars and then hope the guitar will eclipse the inevitable sinking feeling of financial decline...

The recent historics have been phenemonal ans imho worth the price. These Les Pauls are truly inspiring instruments and afaic as versatile as a Strat. I have a 60th a couple of 2018s, a 15 TH a CC TH and they are all variations of spectacular. A couple needed a little work to get the best out of them but all and all exceptional guitars.

8bit Barry

In the last 48hrs I have tried out 30+ Gibson 1959 VOS / 1958 VOS / 60th Anniversary guitars across six or seven London area shops, though a variety of amps (which has added a complex variable into the mix) and its been a great experience.

I narrowed it down to two guitars, a 1958 Aged VOS from yesterday, and the 1959 VOS (not aged) that I put in the link above - with one being utterly sensational in every way - here are some shots of the 1959 VOS guitar in the shop...

This one is loud, notably louder, more articulate than the others I tried - its got such a bark! The neck pickup is clear and ballsy, the bridge has such a bite. Generous 1959 neck leaning into '58... It's perhaps a lemon tea burst if there is such a thing, the top looks very classic when it doesn't have shop lights all over it. Not too much flame, but just enough... but woah, every time I came back to it - its the sound.

Straight into a Princeton Reverb (blackface), the middle position has that real ceramic chime telecaster on steroids, its really something and this is where a lot of the others fell over - less distinct. Add a little bit of compression and the result was really something.

Also, the neck and surprisingly the neck lacquer was also very changeable on different models, some were very dry feeing, others with barely any lacquer at all - but this 1959 VOS is exactly right and feels really wonderful / generous and improved my playing skills almost immediately.

I am so grateful that the guitars are such individuals, I never expected that

Last edited:

AA00475Bassman

I could careless about specs it’s how the guitar plays and sounds , IMO the 2019 choice of tops & paint is very appealing to my eye .

8bit Barry

I bought my number 1 in 2000. It was a hard thing to spend so much dough on a guitar. I tried many. This was the one. It still is. I don't care one bit about monetary value. I found the one.

I already have received my investment back x 100.

Thats really positive - the financial risk is making me feel edgy and cautious when choosing a guitar, which I have tried to overcome over the last few days.

BurstFan

I see the guitar in the link has sold.
So did you get it?

I also had a 60th anniversary and sold it.
Tried it in the store against several other 60th anniversary LPs and it was clearly the winner. But in the end it couldn't convince me.

Now I do have a 2017 R8 for half the price and it kills every guitar I've ever owned, including Collector Choice models.

It has THE tone and due to the fact that every 2017 has the same 59 neck profile, it feels and plays fantastic too.

So I didn't quiet understand your post, because you clearly favoured the 2017 R9. So why the hassle?

I really do hope you did get it.

8bit Barry

I see the guitar in the link has sold.
So did you get it?

So I didn't quiet understand your post, because you clearly favoured the 2017 R9. So why the hassle?

I really do hope you did get it.

Yes I did.

I tried out over 30 Custom Shop Les Pauls and this one was heads above the others. In the end I was confused as to whether I was missing out for spec reasons by not getting a 60th Anniversary, but I playability and sound are the most vital aspects as I learned. It's a bright, ballsy fat and articulate sound.

One issue that I am trying to overcome (they gave £400) is this fretboard markings - i'll put them in another post...