• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Another Les Paul already!

opdev

I just traded my 56 Special and my 55 Jr (plus cash and other guitars) for that amazing "behold the gold" 54 wraptail. I don't regret it even a little since that was one of my grails.

However, now I'm obsessing over 1950's P-90 equipped LP customs. ABR, P90 bridge, Alnico neck and the gorgeous black!!

What are the main sonic differences between those and a GT (does the mahogany top make it too dark?) Also, are P-90 Customs a "good buy" in terms of collectibility?

- OCD in Boston....

hogy

I just traded my 56 Special and my 55 Jr (plus cash and other guitars) for that amazing "behold the gold" 54 wraptail. I don't regret it even a little since that was one of my grails.

However, now I'm obsessing over 1950's P-90 equipped LP customs. ABR, P90 bridge, Alnico neck and the gorgeous black!!

What are the main sonic differences between those and a GT (does the mahogany top make it too dark?) Also, are P-90 Customs a "good buy" in terms of collectibility?

- OCD in Boston....

The notion that all mahogany guitars are "darker" sounding than maple topped ones is, in my experience, not correct. Les Paul Juniors are anything but "dark" sounding, and one of the best, clearest, most Fendery sounding PAF Goldtops I've ever heard was an all mahogany '57.

opdev

The notion that all mahogany guitars are "darker" sounding than maple topped ones is, in my experience, not correct. Les Paul Juniors are anything but "dark" sounding, and one of the best, clearest, most Fendery sounding PAF Goldtops I've ever heard was an all mahogany '57.

Good point hogy, the Jr I traded for my GT was not dark. The Custom already sold (Rumbleseat had it listed) so I'm off the hook for a decision ;)

But in general, does anyone like a Custom with P-90s vs a GT (or is it like most things, a case by case example).

Mike