• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

NGD: 1943 Banner LG-3

david.beason

I actually got this a few weeks ago, but thought some of you in this part of the Interwebs might enjoy seeing it.

I have a bit of a thing for natural-topped Gibson acoustics, having a J-200, Country Western, and Dove. The only other body type that I felt like I was somewhat missing was an LG. I had a mid '60s LG-0 a while back and was really impressed with the sound of it, but the all-mahogany thing didn't really work for me. Being that I prefer natural (spruce) finishes, the LG-3 was on my radar and I was hoping to find something from before they went to the large pickguard in the mid '50s.

I came really close (even made offers) on a '49-'50 that was located in NYC on consignment, but had a really hard time getting responses (not really the dealer's fault, but rather the consignor). While I was waiting to hear back on my last counteroffer, a different one in NYC became available and I ended up making a deal for it.

As it turns out, it was the exact guitar that I had seen on an old ended Reverb listing from several years ago while researching these and had been lamenting that I wasn't really looking back then.

This particular example was featured briefly in the book Kalamazoo Gals by John Thomas, which documents the banner-era Gibsons, built largely by women during World War II. This one was originally marked "CULL" (think factory second in later Gibson lingo) by a worker named Velura Wood, but was later pulled back by a supervisor who claimed "Ah, hell, this one is fine." Only a Gibson is... "Good Enough." :spabout

These are quite rare with supposedly less than 200 being made across 1942-1943 before production ceased until after the war. According to the ledger, it was shipped out to Parker Music in Houston, TX in April 1943 and still bears the dealer decal on the back of the headstock.

I'm really loving playing this thing. It's got the characteristically fat neck from this era and plays great with the help of a pro neck reset done in the last decade or so. The slightly mid-rangey sound of this guitar really rounds out what I can get from my Gibson acoustics. Again, I'm hoping to make a video of not only this one, but a comparison video to see how the different designs (small body, slope shoulder, square shoulder, jumbo) compare, albeit from somewhat different eras.

Anyway, here are some pics I took as best I could with the gigantic renovation mess that we have going on in our house currently.

COSp10y.jpg

ahMNA5e.jpg

YZs2Dx4.jpg

IxFMz9G.jpg

9O3eCTL.jpg

O3bI9m0.jpg

F8XanTS.jpg

RycOVJC.jpg

0CJXZ8z.jpg

Great photos, fantastic anecdotal story and a provenance going back to the factory. Add in the fact that it's a banner LG-3, which is rare enough, throw in the multiply binding, also pretty rare on an LG, and you, sir, have got yourself a real winner! I just picked up a 41 L-0, but started out going after a banner LG-2. This thing has got me a little jealous!

Kazoo22

Absolutely gorgeous! Extra fine condition.
Gave me goosebumps...........