• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Firebird/Trini Lopez Stingers

miczap

I’m looking for examples of what a factory stinger should look like one on either a Firebird or Trini Lopez standard model.

I’ve seen two Trini’s now with what appear to be factory stingers but they’re unusual in appearance and I wanted to see if the brainstrust had any further clues!

see below images of the two examples

UGEyEke.jpg

9dO4ScN.jpg

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
Those don't look like stingers to me. :wah
The look like refin/touch up.
Have you black lighted them? :hmm

GuitarMikey

That appears to be hiding something underneath. All the stingers I have seen have a point at the bottom and aren't blended like that.

Gold Tone

Agreed

Likely “burst” refin to cover broken headstock repair?

miczap

One black lights fine and other claims to as well.

Any other reason for this to be done other than a headstock break?

latestarter

One black lights fine and other claims to as well.

Any other reason for this to be done other than a headstock break?

no, these are almost certainly touch ups over breaks. Stingers are sharp lined.

RAB

If it was a repair why would a “2” be stamped at the top of the headstock? This normally designates a factory second. Why would a repairman make the effort to place such a stamp? :hmm

latestarter

If it was a repair why would a “2” be stamped at the top of the headstock? This normally designates a factory second. Why would a repairman make the effort to place such a stamp? :hmm

A couple of shots of nitro will sink back into the previously stamped serials or 2 marks. I’ve done it myself.

if these are factory why would they not execute the normal stinger? What makes these guitars need or deserve something different? Seems unusual.

miczap

For some extra data, apparently this one: https://reverb.com/uk/item/10152420-gibson-trini-lopez-standard-1966-cherry-dave-grohl was inspected by CMI for this reason and they apparently confirmed it was a factory spray and that no break or repair was present...

edit: I reached out to this seller for further information and they said "Daniel Escauriza did the inspection .. confirmed original by black light, the whole deal. It was a Gibson second ( stamped 2 on the back of the headstock. ) I got that guitar from Blues Artist Poppy Chubby in NYC."

If this is a factory treatment- what is it? is it not right to call it a stinger? and more curiously- what could it be hiding?

Last edited:

crashbelt

The SN on my Trini is very clear whereas this is buried under the black finish. Can't imagine that happened at the factory on a second. Concealing a break I suspect.