• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

The ultimate turd for the JB/CD collection...a 59 burst!

MapleFlame

Hey Guys,
Well, it all started with a frozen meatball re-heated with marginally decent pasta sauce a few weeks ago at Barones' Italian Restaurant in Van Nuys CA. I was attending our holiday gathering of like minded guitar nerds in Los Angeles for our last dinner of the year. My friend David, came in with the Red Thing that he posted a month before and my radar immediately went off after spotting that neck tenon. At first without seeing any of the parts and David saying he thought the PAFs were double whites ( they are not, double blacks) I said we might have a double 0 on our hands. Its got a big-ish neck. I spoke to David about what the owner wanted to do with it. He said he wanted it to be restored to its original sunburst. He bought it in 1963 for $100 stripped it and painted it Candy Apple Red about 5 years later. He came into David's shop armed with a Sweetwater catalog and a circled 2019 Les Paul Standard in sunburst " This is what it looked like before I stripped it". I made David an offer that night and asked to contact the owner. The next day I looked at the parts which are all correct ( rings, Double black PAFs, harness (7th week of 59 and the smoking gun along with the factory large frets, until the top was stripped) wiring , knobs ect. My offer was accepted (he did well... and nobody got ripped off) and the guitar was off to Kim at Historic Makeovers the next day. Two days later Kim sent me a picture of a center seam. ( thank God!) and on Monday his team stripped it. Its Carmelita, Nicky, Snakebite wood for sure. Next step with a big help from JJ Blair with an original pick guard and backplates (only things that were missing) the guitar should be on the road this spring.

I have to admit, I have bought 7 burst and a mint Flying V this year..( I know...I need help) This is the coolest of 2019 because of what a long shot it was. Its a 1959 burst that's been red for a very long time. They are still out there folks...

Cheers and happy new year!!
Joe B:ganz:salude

PS I just realized this my 10th year on this forum!!

I guess I need to up my game on a restoration project. Jeesh, incert large boot to rear end. šŸ¤£šŸ¤£Best of luck with restoration.

bobbradley

Quality content for sure:dude: Iā€™ll be watching this thread closely for further restoration :) happy new year!
9 2020 lol

Last edited:

Anje

A very cool way to end 2019 and start 2020 for sure!
I like CAR a lot, but I have to say it would be hard to argue not to make this nice wood visible again :salude

Tubes 'n Wood

Wow!? NICE SCORE!! And... Joe, you might have a problem, but... it's a problem I'm sure 99.9% of this forum would love to have!!

TM1

Man...., I knew I was going to miss something good not being able to attend the HGC dinner.. I drove up to Vancouver, Washington to give my younger daughter my 2014 Honda Crosstour. She has a 2007 Honda Element that needs about $3k worth of work, so I figured sheā€™d rather have the 2014 Crosstour that only has 70,000 miles on it and needs absolutely nothing as Iā€™ve kept it in top shape... was the only week I could do it... looks like a nice guitar and I know Kim will make it nice!

T.Allen

That guitar is no turd. It is more of a gold nugget! I look forward to seeing this beauty restored to its former glory!

Ken Fortunato

Administrator
Staff member
WHOA!!! :wow That's no turd... :peace2 When it's finished, we might need to schedule a road trip to Slub's sanctuary for test drive... :hmm

Congrats!!! :salude

CDaughtry

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner and Moderator
The Beast transforming into a beauty!:dude:

i-bkJs7gc-X2.jpg

i-3tMfcDW-XL.jpg

i-9qxh4Rs-X3.jpg

J.D.

That looks incredible! Pretty much exactly how I thought it'd be sprayed. Any comment on the top carve? Meaning was it buggered up at all with the last finish?