• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

1965 AC30 "Bass" Advice Needed

deytookerjaabs

Don't see these much and have never played one. This example popped up locally:

[/COLOR]https://reverb.com/item/30634290-1965-vox-ac30-6-bass-jmi-england-grey-panel-ac-30

After some time with the Google I found this thread on another site:

https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/141231/fyi-vox-ac30-bass-amp-in-dublin

And I'll be damned if the one pic posted doesn't look like the same exact amp. I've read the "Bass" models can be a tad warmer sounding and at low volumes at that but I've read a lot of things online, lol, who knows.

I have no clue about these amps but from the snippets in that thread there look to be some red flags?

Thanks ahead of time for any responses. Not even sure why I covet such a loud/heavy beast, ha!

Bygone_Tones

The speaker on the right is a replacement with Nov 1975 date code. It is not one of Justins fakes. Speaker on the left appears to be period correct for 65.

Personally I would want much better photos of those speakers before placing any value on them. Showing the fronts of the cones, the edge of the spider support, and the cone stamps. Also confirmation that they have been tested for coil rub and are in perfect working order. Otherwise they can easily be worth very little.

deytookerjaabs

The speaker on the right is a replacement with Nov 1975 date code. It is not one of Justins fakes. Speaker on the left appears to be period correct for 65.

Personally I would want much better photos of those speakers before placing any value on them. Showing the fronts of the cones, the edge of the spider support, and the cone stamps. Also confirmation that they have been tested for coil rub and are in perfect working order. Otherwise they can easily be worth very little.

Any opinion on this specific year/model based on past experience? And, the bits in that thread about all the jacks/switch/etc being replaced, are correct? The local price is $2800, but it seems the range in value could be quite large based on the speakers, condition and other details.

TM1

It's a real shame that someone decided to replace the coupling caps and tone stack caps as well as the original Iskra resistors. The caps would be either Wima Tropyfol or Phillips mustards. It's not going to sound like it should with those components replaced. It should still sound good, but to my ears and decades of working on vintage Vox amps, I get pissed off at guys who go in and basically "shotgun" all the signal path components. Unless a cap is leaking DC voltage across it, leave it there! the original resistors were +/- 20%. The only resistors that should need replacing are the voltage/B+ ones. Replacing all those parts was what the guys at Plexi Palace use to do... they did that to every amp they would get in..WTF? Anyway, to me with those parts replaced, I would tell them to take off $600.-$700 as it's not original anymore

TM1

Oh, BTW, back then there were 4 different versions of AC30's: Bass, Normal, Treble & Top Boosted. On the Bass, Normal and Treble models there were a few values of caps that would be changed. I think it's like 6-7 caps in the whole amp, But.. each version sounded great and there's nothing wrong with using a Bass model for guitar!

deytookerjaabs

Thanks for the info/advice fellas!!

I was chattin' with the owner and after a hang we worked out a trade plus $$ on his end for a strat of mine. I plugged in and what I was looking for was to see how good it sounded before raucous all out overdrive...it sounds great. Sounds great cranked too. I've played a few of these many moons ago and had kind of jekyl/hyde reactions to each one. I was worried it just wouldn't be a manageable amp but TBH I've had heavier and it easily sounds nice enough to gig at lower volumes. Not brittle, not ice-picky, etc. So I don't feel too bad about what I have into it at this point as long as it doesn't blow up tomorrow!! Bottom line, it's going to get used. I'd love to see how it sounds with a good tele.

It would be cool to source some old parts to make it closer to it's birth but that might get expensive.

S82gCu6h.jpg

agogetr

It's a real shame that someone decided to replace the coupling caps and tone stack caps as well as the original Iskra resistors. The caps would be either Wima Tropyfol or Phillips mustards. It's not going to sound like it should with those components replaced. It should still sound good, but to my ears and decades of working on vintage Vox amps, I get pissed off at guys who go in and basically "shotgun" all the signal path components. Unless a cap is leaking DC voltage across it, leave it there! the original resistors were +/- 20%. The only resistors that should need replacing are the voltage/B+ ones. Replacing all those parts was what the guys at Plexi Palace use to do... they did that to every amp they would get in..WTF? Anyway, to me with those parts replaced, I would tell them to take off $600.-$700 as it's not original anymore
ya. so many amps getting shotgunned. its so lame. the really cool cats that work on these know to take a totally minimalist aproach. so many cool amps getting botched

B Ingram

... I've read the "Bass" models can be a tad warmer sounding ...
...it sounds great. Sounds great cranked too. ...

It would be cool to source some old parts to make it closer to it's birth but that might get expensive.

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but have you had anyone go over the amp with a fine-toothed comb? Looking at some of the Reverb photos, the changed capacitors in the area of the phase inverter look sized for a Treble model, rather than a Bass model.

Specifically, there are 0.01µF caps going into the phase inverter (rather than the Bass model's 0.047µF), and 0.047µF caps coming out of the phase inverter (rather than the Bass model's 0.15µF).​

This isn't to say the whole preamp has all the changes relevant to a Treble model, but it's worth knowing exactly what you have. Maybe yours started life as a Bass model, and someone decided it was good to shave a little low-end off right before the output tubes (often a good choice for overdrive).

deytookerjaabs

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but have you had anyone go over the amp with a fine-toothed comb? Looking at some of the Reverb photos, the changed capacitors in the area of the phase inverter look sized for a Treble model, rather than a Bass model.

Specifically, there are 0.01µF caps going into the phase inverter (rather than the Bass model's 0.047µF), and 0.047µF caps coming out of the phase inverter (rather than the Bass model's 0.15µF).​

This isn't to say the whole preamp has all the changes relevant to a Treble model, but it's worth knowing exactly what you have. Maybe yours started life as a Bass model, and someone decided it was good to shave a little low-end off right before the output tubes (often a good choice for overdrive).

Thanks for the bump and previous replies fellas!

I haven't taken it in yet. I actually picked up a rear panel top boost insert too so I may or may not just have that along with some restoration done all at the same time. I'd love to get a little list of caps/resistors (???) to buy that I'll bring to the tech along with the amp as having things mostly original is a goal. I already have to pick up a few mustards to install for my JMP50 too. I'll probably take the AC30 to Jeff Hime, lame to super lame experiences with Todd Sharp so far. But, I'm a bit conflicted on the TB because I love how the amp sounds as is, at least the brilliant channel is a go-to all the time. The rear doesn't have a factory cutout for the TB either so it's either surgery or I make a custom panel.

B Ingram

... I may or may not ... have ... some restoration done all at the same time. I'd love to get a little list of caps/resistors (???) to buy that I'll bring to the tech along with the amp as having things mostly original is a goal. ... But, I'm a bit conflicted ... because I love how the amp sounds as is, at least the brilliant channel is a go-to all the time. ...

If you truly love it, I suspect it's a mistake to change things.

A good clear closeup photo of the interior would enable me to identify what you have now. I would need clear shots that give the capacitor values, and at least a bit of a shot that shows what is connected to the Volume pot lugs.

I had to go through something similar with my own amp, which is marked "Normal" on the serial # plate but has the Treble circuit inside. This Voxshowroom link has a list of capacitor differences. Apart for the four caps I mentioned (in 2 sets of two caps), the Tone control cap is smaller in the Treble model which leaves some highs intact when this control is used.

But the big one for a Treble model is a 330kΩ resistor and 220pF cap at each Volume control. Works like every other bright cap you know, except that 330kΩ resistor makes sure it has effect even if you turn the Volume control full-up.

deytookerjaabs

If you truly love it, I suspect it's a mistake to change things.

A good clear closeup photo of the interior would enable me to identify what you have now. I would need clear shots that give the capacitor values, and at least a bit of a shot that shows what is connected to the Volume pot lugs.

I had to go through something similar with my own amp, which is marked "Normal" on the serial # plate but has the Treble circuit inside. This Voxshowroom link has a list of capacitor differences. Apart for the four caps I mentioned (in 2 sets of two caps), the Tone control cap is smaller in the Treble model which leaves some highs intact when this control is used.

But the big one for a Treble model is a 330kΩ resistor and 220pF cap at each Volume control. Works like every other bright cap you know, except that 330kΩ resistor makes sure it has effect even if you turn the Volume control full-up.

I've read the TB can be added while keeping one of the channels the same? I'll have to dig into that, I'm going to get some photos at some point here.

B Ingram

I've read the TB can be added while keeping one of the channels the same? I'll have to dig into that, I'm going to get some photos at some point here.
Sure. Top Boost is only on the Brilliant channel, so the other two remain the same.

However, I was just speaking about the overall voicing, the bulk of which affects the phase inverter & all channels. It might be wise to know for sure what you're already hearing & liking before a tech changes things.

agogetr

Thanks for the bump and previous replies fellas!

I haven't taken it in yet. I actually picked up a rear panel top boost insert too so I may or may not just have that along with some restoration done all at the same time. I'd love to get a little list of caps/resistors (???) to buy that I'll bring to the tech along with the amp as having things mostly original is a goal. I already have to pick up a few mustards to install for my JMP50 too. I'll probably take the AC30 to Jeff Hime, lame to super lame experiences with Todd Sharp so far. But, I'm a bit conflicted on the TB because I love how the amp sounds as is, at least the brilliant channel is a go-to all the time. The rear doesn't have a factory cutout for the TB either so it's either surgery or I make a custom panel.
hope it all works out, i chatted a few times with a guy named paul who shared gigs with the beatles he was in some famous band like the shadows somthing like that but he told me the best ac30 when pegged was the non top boost model, he said thats the one you want!
of course tastes vary.
i,m bummeed you didnt have luck with todd sharpe i saw bonamassa run down a sharpe amp i thought it sounded outrageus. i was thinking about trying to get one!