• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

New to forum Les Paul question

Corn Fed

Hey guys. New to the forum and electric guitars. I've played acoustic for years, but new to the electric game. I am certain that I want a Les Paul to be my first. I am considering one from the last few years, but I've been reading about quality concerns lately. Would you recommend waiting for the 2020 lineup or is one from the last few years ok in your opinion. Thanks for the help.

CF

brandtkronholm

Welcome!

The quality concerns you've heard about are overblown. Any Gibson Les Paul and even many of the Epiphone Les Pauls (made overseas) are fine guitars. They will all sound great and play in tune, up and down the fretboard. They are all very easy to modify and upgrade too.

A great way to save money is to buy a used Gibson Les Paul.
The best way to buy a used Gibson Les Paul is to get in the car, drive to as many guitar stores as you can stand and try out each and every Les Paul in each store, learning what features you like and don't care for. Eventually, one or two guitars will speak to you, just like an acoustic would. (But plug those Les Pauls into an amp when you're trying them!)

Encountering a Gibson that's a true "lemon" is exceedingly rare. They probably weren't born lemons, but became so after being poorly cared for.

If you're concerned about "quality" issues that we might discuss here in the Les Paul Forum, don't pay them much mind, we're usually arguing about subtleties that are more likely imagined than real! - I digress...

Anyway, good luck on your Les Paul quest. Be sure to post any questions you might have and keep us updated!

johnd5412

Good info above but also play it without it being plugged into an amp. If it sounds good naked then it will also translate beautifully to an amp.

Dale O

The quality of my 2019 Standard 50's is excellent, couldn't be happier!