• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

1961 Gibson Les Paul Custom (restored)

GuitarsorGolf?

49279020588_df68dcc738_k.jpg
[/URL]1961 Gibson Les Paul Custom by Darren Bond, on Flickr[/IMG]
49280762746_854a4ceb2a_k.jpg
[/URL]Untitled by Darren Bond, on Flickr[/IMG]
Untitled by Darren Bond, on FlickrUntitled by Darren Bond, on FlickrUntitled by Darren Bond, on Flickr
68813633_2427161547529942_2912927887654912000_n by Darren Bond, on FlickrUntitled by Darren Bond, on Flickr

Untitled by Darren Bond, on FlickrIMG_2192 by Darren Bond, on FlickrUntitled by Darren Bond,

on Flickr
IMG_2192 by Darren Bond, on FlickrIMG_3191 by Darren Bond, on FlickrUntitled by Darren Bond, on Flickr
A trio of Gibson Les Paul’s (1961 Custom), 2011 Custom Shop CR8 & 2002 ‘61 Custom by Darren Bond, on Flickr

Last edited:

GuitarsorGolf?

Yeah it's been through a miraculous transformation by UK luthier Brian Eastwood and son Michael (famous builder of the Bender Distortocaster and the Blue Moon guitar for Showaddywaddy). When I got it around 10 years ago it had been fitted with a Kahler trem (early 80's as was the norm due to sideways being virtually pointless). It had been refinished in black and played around the world (hence it's really heavy, custom made aluminium flight case).

Obviously a Kahler trem originally involved a route job so I decided that I wanted it back to original as possible and took the expensive road of a mahogany block fill then a very thin mahogany veneer to cover the full face of the front (after sanding the exact thickness of the veneer) to prevent any shrinkage lines where the block sits. Headstock locking trem nut holes filled and complete refinish in Polaris white, lots of coats of aged lacquer. Just waiting on the lacquer to harden sufficiently enough to go back to Brian and Michael for next stage of cracking / ageing.

The sideways vibrola is a Gibson reissue and aged bridge from Crazy-parts in Germany, one original PAF, 2 late 60's T-tops, original pots, scratchplate, knobs and tuners.

Very nice guitar and pleased to have saved it from it's 'modernisation' - Top work by Brian and Michael :)

El Gringo

Very nice restoration and great color as well . Very well done !

darkwave

Nice job and beautiful guitar! Curious if you've noticed any difference in tone after swapping out the Kahler? I know it's hard to directly compare given the time involved, but f you have a good baseline reference with your other SG/Les Paul I thought you might be able to draw some basic conclusions?

I ask because I have an old Kahler sitting in my parts drawer that I am thinking of building a project guitar around. I'm familiar with the feel and could see having it as an occasional alternative ride, but the guitar it came off of was a plywood Kramer that never sounded that good with any bridge that was on it.

Enjoy playing it into the new year!

-Douglas C.

Yeah it's been through a miraculous transformation by UK luthier Brian Eastwood and son Michael (famous builder of the Bender Distortocaster and the Blue Moon guitar for Showaddywaddy). When I got it around 10 years ago it had been fitted with a Kahler trem (early 80's as was the norm due to sideways being virtually pointless). It had been refinished in black and played around the world (hence it's really heavy, custom made aluminium flight case).

Obviously a Kahler trem originally involved a route job so I decided that I wanted it back to original as possible and took the expensive road of a mahogany block fill then a very thin mahogany veneer to cover the full face of the front (after sanding the exact thickness of the veneer) to prevent any shrinkage lines where the block sits. Headstock locking trem nut holes filled and complete refinish in Polaris white, lots of coats of aged lacquer. Just waiting on the lacquer to harden sufficiently enough to go back to Brian and Michael for next stage of cracking / ageing.

The sideways vibrola is a Gibson reissue and aged bridge from Crazy-parts in Germany, one original PAF, 2 late 60's T-tops, original pots, scratchplate, knobs and tuners.

Very nice guitar and pleased to have saved it from it's 'modernisation' - Top work by Brian and Michael :)

GuitarsorGolf?

I never really played it when it was in its 'modernised' state so it just hung on a wall until I eventually found a sideways trem for it so I can't remember what it sounded like to be honest - Can't be a lot of difference but then again some people can hear a difference using different leads / cables lol

Sounds great now though :)

J.D.

Looks like a nice save. Cool idea to veneer the top like that. Hopefully a seam does not appear around the edge anywhere.

zhivago

Great work! Nice to see this one back in its original form! :salude