The Fender Forum
NEW! LPF Facebook Page
NEW! LPF Instagram Page
Merchandise & Donations
NEW! Burst Serial Log Home Page
LPF Homesite
    Les Paul Forum Member

1961 Gibson Les Paul Custom (restored)

Last edited by GuitarsorGolf?; 12-27-19 at 12:34 PM.

Les Paul Forum Member marshall1987's Avatar
    Feuding With "Devil Anse" Hatfield on the Tug Fork

Re: 1961 Gibson Les Paul Custom (restored)

Nice photo. Yours?
    "Scan not a friend under a microscopic glass; you know his faults so let his foibles pass".

Sir Frank Crisp
    Friar Park
    London, England

Les Paul Forum Member

Yeah it's been through a miraculous transformation by UK luthier Brian Eastwood and son Michael (famous builder of the Bender Distortocaster and the Blue Moon guitar for Showaddywaddy). When I got it around 10 years ago it had been fitted with a Kahler trem (early 80's as was the norm due to sideways being virtually pointless). It had been refinished in black and played around the world (hence it's really heavy, custom made aluminium flight case).

Obviously a Kahler trem originally involved a route job so I decided that I wanted it back to original as possible and took the expensive road of a mahogany block fill then a very thin mahogany veneer to cover the full face of the front (after sanding the exact thickness of the veneer) to prevent any shrinkage lines where the block sits. Headstock locking trem nut holes filled and complete refinish in Polaris white, lots of coats of aged lacquer. Just waiting on the lacquer to harden sufficiently enough to go back to Brian and Michael for next stage of cracking / ageing.

The sideways vibrola is a Gibson reissue and aged bridge from Crazy-parts in Germany, one original PAF, 2 late 60's T-tops, original pots, scratchplate, knobs and tuners.

Very nice guitar and pleased to have saved it from it's 'modernisation' - Top work by Brian and Michael

Les Paul Forum Member

Very nice restoration and great color as well . Very well done !

Well done!!! All around.

Nice job and beautiful guitar! Curious if you've noticed any difference in tone after swapping out the Kahler? I know it's hard to directly compare given the time involved, but f you have a good baseline reference with your other SG/Les Paul I thought you might be able to draw some basic conclusions?

I ask because I have an old Kahler sitting in my parts drawer that I am thinking of building a project guitar around. I'm familiar with the feel and could see having it as an occasional alternative ride, but the guitar it came off of was a plywood Kramer that never sounded that good with any bridge that was on it.

Enjoy playing it into the new year!

-Douglas C.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarsorGolf? View Post
    Yeah it's been through a miraculous transformation by UK luthier Brian Eastwood and son Michael (famous builder of the Bender Distortocaster and the Blue Moon guitar for Showaddywaddy). When I got it around 10 years ago it had been fitted with a Kahler trem (early 80's as was the norm due to sideways being virtually pointless). It had been refinished in black and played around the world (hence it's really heavy, custom made aluminium flight case).

Obviously a Kahler trem originally involved a route job so I decided that I wanted it back to original as possible and took the expensive road of a mahogany block fill then a very thin mahogany veneer to cover the full face of the front (after sanding the exact thickness of the veneer) to prevent any shrinkage lines where the block sits. Headstock locking trem nut holes filled and complete refinish in Polaris white, lots of coats of aged lacquer. Just waiting on the lacquer to harden sufficiently enough to go back to Brian and Michael for next stage of cracking / ageing.

The sideways vibrola is a Gibson reissue and aged bridge from Crazy-parts in Germany, one original PAF, 2 late 60's T-tops, original pots, scratchplate, knobs and tuners.

Very nice guitar and pleased to have saved it from it's 'modernisation' - Top work by Brian and Michael

Les Paul Forum Member

I never really played it when it was in its 'modernised' state so it just hung on a wall until I eventually found a sideways trem for it so I can't remember what it sounded like to be honest - Can't be a lot of difference but then again some people can hear a difference using different leads / cables lol

Sounds great now though

Les Paul Forum Member latestarter's Avatar

Great job. Well done.
    Otherwise known as Grant.

Looks like a nice save. Cool idea to veneer the top like that. Hopefully a seam does not appear around the edge anywhere.

Les Paul Forum Member AA00475Bassman's Avatar

Great job cool Les Paul !
    Ive never confused owning a bunch of high end gear with being some kind of a guitar player I'm a hack and I love guitars !

The myth :The most disturbing thing about buying a fake Les Paul is how my research after the purchase is received by Forum members ??? 2020

The Myth: Neat wiring layouts always equate to great-sounding amps.

The Myth: If I would have lived with MOM & mooched till I was 48 I would play like Clapton !
    Think about it
    won't you ...... Please !

Very nice enjoy!

Great work! Nice to see this one back in its original form!
    Guitars: '56 Les Paul Custom, '63 SG/LP Custom, '61 Jazzmaster, '43 000-28, '15 ES-345,
    Amps: Matchless Lightning, Zvex Nano amp
    Pedals: Centaur, BJFE, Analogman, Zvex, Maxon, Way Huge