• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

65 SG Standard price range

Newb Custom

Hi guys,

wondering if if you can help me out with your expertise on 65 SG's.

I have the opportunity to buy one but I don't know a whole lot about what they're worth.

The one in question has had a headstock repair. The current owner has had it for 3.5 years. Supposedly it was repaired at a luthier shop in California. It looks clean and professionally done from photos, so not too worried about it other than the affect on the price.

It supposedly has all the original hardware, pickups, tuners, pots, etc. (not sure if it is all chrome or nickel, the maestro does look Chrome though).

Im not sure if it has the narrow nut width but I think it probably does, I will try to confirm. The body looks very clean, a few nicks here and there but very clean for an old guitar.

What do you guys think a fair price range would be for a clean, all original, headstock repair, probably later 65 SG? Serial starts with 509.

Thanks for any thoughts

Newb Custom

Yes I think so. So that will bring the price down along with the headstock repair.

Is $3500-4000 US a reasonable price to pay for such a guitar? I really don’t know the value at all.

latestarter

Yes I think so. So that will bring the price down along with the headstock repair.

Is $3500-4000 US a reasonable price to pay for such a guitar? I really don’t know the value at all.

I’m all about “if it feels and sounds good, it is good” and then work out your price from there. But that aside, market might suggest that is high. Try for $3max. Need photos to be honest tho...I’m just guessing without them.

latestarter

Well, I’ve see much worse breaks.

maybe circa $3.5 is ok. Make sure the pots read ‘65. Def skinny nut in that serial range. Good luck.