• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Do I need an F-Spaced p/u for an '81 LPC?

riffwraith

Hi all, 1st post :)

I recently picked up an all orig. '81 Les Paul Custom. I am looking to swap the bridge p/u for another. I am going to start with a Dim. SD

Do I need an F-Spaced p/u?

I read somewhere that:

F spaced is for a string spacing of 51.5mm
Standard spacing is 48mm

Assuming that is true, where do I start the p/u measurement, from the middle of the first pole, or the outside edge of the first pole?

I also measured the guitar. From E string > E string @ the bridge, spacing is 51.5mm. A little less if I do the measurement right above the p/u poles.

Thanks in advanced.

Don

Thanks.

So,what is this F-Spaced thing, and why is it relevant?

The "F" in the description F-Spaced refers to Fender guitars. A Strat's string spacing at the bridge is quite a bit wider than a Les Paul's.

renderit

The "F" in the description F-Spaced refers to Fender guitars. A Strat's string spacing at the bridge is quite a bit wider than a Les Paul's.

I am not sure about that, but the F spaced being wider puts the pole directly beneath and centered on the strings at the bridge. Collings typically uses an f-spaced Lollar in the bridge position on it's humbucker equipped (and actually P90 equipped as well). So they are available in both humbuckers and p90's.

That said, though it looks better and a little more "professional" looking in the fit department and it may actually change the sound a bit, I don't PREFER them. I accept them but I don't buy replacements based on that because it does remove some flexibility on swapping them around.

And hell, we have accepted a "less than optimum fit" in the bridge position for so long IT is actually the norm.

And if your name in Norm I apologize...

riffwraith

Thanks guys

I understand any humbucker can work, but....

If my string spacing is 51.5mm, and an F-Spaced p/u is spacing is 51.5mm, aren't I better off with an F-Spaced p/u, so the poles line up 100%?

renderit

As I said, I really think that "better off" is VERY subjective.

Yes, the poles WILL line up with the strings better.

The REAL question is - a 'golden era' Les Paul did NOT have them; so is it 'better'?

Only YOU can decide.

Don

Some folks are a little more concerned about things lining up visually and prefer wider spacing on the bridge pole pieces. In that case, the wider spacing is a good thing.

Monroe

I line up my silverware to the pattern on the table cloth.