• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Bridge Height - Treble / Bass Side?

Dale O

Are your bridges / thumb wheels 1/6" or so higher on the bass side vs treble? I have read somewhere that ideally the thumb wheels should be equal distance off the body and action should be mainly a factor of saddle height. Not sure which is correct or if it makes a difference if you spin the bass side thumb wheel up a few threads higher. Thought?

Big Al

How do you adjust saddle height? I use the thumb wheels to adjust bridge height which adjusts the saddles. Over 50 years it has worked and never felt or saw the need to measure or check the level of the bridge, nor does it half to be. Are you experienced at setups? You may need deeper notches on the treble side, or you may be failing to account for the smaller diameter of the unwound strings.

deytookerjaabs

Here's another level of thought...

A completely notched down saddle is almost the thickness of a thumbwheel. A saddle with a hair sized shallow notch leaves that below it. So, that lil' ole notch can sure shift appearances.

Now, with this knowledge I've imparted you must understand that according to many on the 'webz the size of a thumbwheel can make or break whether a Les Paul will have good or poor tone without even taking a gander at the saddle notches. I'm not joking.

So, not all thumbwheel heights are created equal. Anymore I don't even notice, big deal if it's an inch off the top..how does it sound to you?