• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Finding the owner of an assumed stolen 1977 Les Paul Standard

The Lion's Roar

For the past 10-12 years I have been the happy owner of a 1977 Les Paul Standard. I bought the guitar on eBay in the early days of that site. It's a great guitar that I practically learned to play on, and it's been on every single recording I ever did. In many ways, I prefer this guitar to my R7.

To make a long story short, the neck was refinished when I bought it, and I always thought this had been done due to a neck break. However, last week when I brought the guitar in for a check up, the local luthier asked if he should remove the poor paint job and restore the guitar to it's original colour. Unfortunately, when he did so, we learned that there was no neck break, instead, the serial number had been removed underneath. Logically, I suspect this to be a stolen guitar.

I am writing this in an attempt to find the original owner and give him back the guitar. Any help or tips are welcome. I realise this is a difficult task due to the many years passed and the lack of a serial number, but the guitar has it's specific identifiable traits and the original owner would probably know.

Texas Blues

I bought a '78 LP Pro off a guy in Anchorage, AK that same year.

No case.

Cash only.

I was too young and stupid.

To even think it was stolen.

But it was.

Later on.

It suffered through a house fire.

Had it repaired.

Now has Lollar P90's.

And a Bigsby.

Its my favorite guitar.

Its been with me through 2 kids.