• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Wiring/ Volume level weirdness?

Brimcfarland

Hi there,
First real post, and sorry for the somewhat ambiguous title!

i recently got a neck and body set, with no hardware or wiring. It’s been a fun task gathering together parts to assemble it, and finally put it all together this week.

The parts:
’14 Les Paul Signature Vintage Sunburst body and neck
’61 Gibson pickups with the quick connect wiring
Wiring adapters for the quick connect
CTS 500K pots
Vitamin-Q Capacitors (22)
Nashville Bridge and Tail
Grover "Gibson Deluxe" tuners

I spliced together the white and green wires of the pickups since I’m not splitting coils at all, after reading about the wiring color scheme issues with these PCB intended pickups. Determined that was the best way to tie the two coils in each pickup together to make up a simple humbucker.

Here's my "weirdness"
When I’m in the middle switch position, (both pickups), and I have both Volumes set at Max, and I roll one pickup (either one) back just a notch, to say, 9 or so...it seems as if I be a very slight volume boost right at that setting. So, 10/9 seems just a hair stronger than 10/10. After that, the volume for each pickup behaves exactly as it should and corresponding tones do as well.

Any reason why this might be happening? It’s very subtle, and nothing that is very noticeable, except to me, lol

Last edited: