• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Les Pauls and Marshall! The voice of rock. let’s see em

Victory Pete

Super cool. How would you describe the difference between the Marshall cabs?

The half stack to the left is a 1988 2204 that I used for 20 years as my only Marshall sitting on a 1960XB with G12M 20 watt Greenbacks in it. The head has a good sound but I have come to realize those hi gain heads from the 80's are a bit limited in sound. The other 2 heads are a 1987X in the middle and a 1959HW on the right. those 2 amps with the inputs bridged has been my main sound for 10 years. The 1987X is sitting on the matched 1960X A & B cabs with G12M 25 watt Greenbacks in them. The 1959HW is sitting on the matched 1960HW A & B cabs with G12H 30 watt Greenbacks in them. I run the Plexis in stereo from my Vox Tonelab SE pedal board basically as 2 clean power amps and get the majority of the sound from the Vox. I only have 2 of the bottom cabs on at any one time. My favorite is the 1960XB with the 20 watt and the 1960HWB with the 30 watt speakers. The 3 varieties of Greenbacks are all different. The 20 watt being the most loose and articulate, with the 25 a bit more tighter and the 30 watt even more so to the point of being less bassy. The bottom cabs have a more full bassy sound whereas the tops are a bit midrangy. I have my original 1960 A & B cabs on the other side of the studio with a Laney GH50L sitting on it.