• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

2019 R4 VOS - only 7.4 lbs and unchambered - can that be true?

Blues Bird

I am looking online at a 2019 Gibson Les Paul R4 VOS at a retailer store and the weight is only 7.4 lbs (!). The sales guys mailed me a picture of the scale and says the guitar is unchambered. I have no reason to doubt that and the Gibson website also stated that those 2019 models have no weight relief. But I never have heard of such an ultra light and unchambered Les Paul. Strange.

And the important question is: Does this light weight affect the tone? Of course I want the guitar to sound like a good R4 is supposed to sound: raw and bold. Unfortunately checking out the guitar in person is not an option since the store is too far away from me.

What do you guys think?

sonar

The weight alone is highly desirable and will always be a strong selling point if you decide to move on from that particular guitar.

As for tone... that gets more complicated. I've read posts from certain LPF members much more well versed than I that find their tonal sweet spots for LP Standards at around the 9lb range. My most experience, albeit with Telecasters, is far less conclusive and really depends on the individual guitar and not weight.

Fwiw, the best sounding LP Standard w/humbuckers I ever played was a boat anchor Norlin with a repaired headstock. As for 50's Special's a particular favorite of mine that a buddy owns is around 8lbs, but my favorite single P90 (50's/60's) is an Epi Coronet that is feather light. So again, all over the place.

My experience with P90 GT's is far too narrow to give an opinion.

pqs

I have encountered un-chambered non-weight relieved LPs at that ballpark. They can be hard to find among non Made2Measure featherweight LPs, but sometimes you might stumble across one if you're lucky.

Top Gun

I too have been looking for a new featherweight 54 re-issue. I wish the 2019's had the larger 59' frets. I recently missed a super lightweight 54 at the Zoo. it was a 2017 with the larger frets.

sws1

As for tone... that gets more complicated. I've read posts from certain LPF members much more well versed than I that find their tonal sweet spots for LP Standards at around the 9lb range.

All guitars are different. And I doubt anyone has played a statistically large enough sample to draw any accurate conclusion.

renderit

This was regular stock at Wildwoods. Not a featherlight...
Fattest neck I've ever owned as well.

36311007455_6b0515054c_3k.jpg