The Fender Forum
NEW! LPF Facebook Page
NEW! LPF Instagram Page
Merchandise & Donations
NEW! Burst Serial Log Home Page
LPF Homesite
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: Gibson creates "Murphy Lab" / New Custom Shop head

You guy's arguing about wood color are making me I've got several 2018's and a couple other post 2014's that are all serious keepers with tons of character and magic, and they all sound like the best of classic examples of exactly what you want in that particular model Gibson. Do I care about the 'tint' of the bare wood in the control cavity, when they've exceeded my requirements in all the important ways that actually matter?.... Not one of you jokers has commented on sound/tone. Makes me think you'd take a dead wet sounding log as long as it was your ideal orange hue, over a superb sounding example with a slightly different than "correct" tint
    My Gibsons: 2018 '57 Les Paul Custom Historic, 2018 '59 LP Historic, 2018 '58 LP Jr Historic, 2018 LP/SG Historic, 2016 '63 Firebird I Historic, 2016 Johnny A, 2015 '64 Firebird III Historic, 2015 '67 Flying V Historic, 2011 '59 ES-335 Wrap-Tail Historic, 2011 '60 LP Special Historic
    Quote Originally Posted by 82 Silverburst View Post
    What I see on this forum more and more is akin to little girls playing dress up with their dolls, getting them ready for some tea party.

Quote Originally Posted by PeteNJ75 View Post
    In no way am I claiming I know anything about wood species, but I just can’t wrap my head around the idea that different mahogany species growing in different countries with different climates are going to sound exactly the same. The quality of the guitars they’re producing right now are amazing no doubt, but there seems to be *something* different about the wood they’re using because they seem to be significantly lighter on average than what they were using in the past. Is it less dense? Isn’t that going to effect tone? Honestly just curious.
    PLEASE please PLEASE do not take any offense from my ramblings.

I am an idiot who thinks being funny at an inappropriate time is appropriate.

A tree grown in my backyard by itself with no competition might get all the rain it needs (and CO2) to grow faster and be less dense than a tree in my front yard with others closely around it.

A tree on the east side of a rise in the Rockies that gets more rain than one on the West side which gets less will probably be less dense (lighter).

Clearings, roads, other vegatation types etc. make the choices in wood an astounding array of weights, figures, and sounds.

We should marvel at God's creation here. No two chunks will EVER be the exact same thing!

EVER!

Les Paul Forum Member

Just my 2 cents about weight is that I do not buy into the lightweight Les Paul's . I need between 8.5-9 LBS and really closer to 9LBS . All of this stuff about lightweight Les Paul's and chambered Les Paul's and the weight relieved Swiss Cheese just doesn't cut it in my book and ears . To me the weight relieved guitars have a harshness to there tone . At the same time I do get that chambered and weight relieved Les Paul's are an option and price point as well , which is a beauty for the consumer to have choices as well as heavier Les Paul's as well ,as I do believe there is a difference in tone !

Les Paul Forum Member AA00475Bassman's Avatar

I kinda favor the 9 pound flavor , bluesy as you please I never shop weight when I shop Historic's each guitar must stand on it's own merits !!!!
    Ive never confused owning a bunch of high end gear with being some kind of a guitar player I'm a hack and I love guitars !

The myth :The most disturbing thing about buying a fake Les Paul is how my research after the purchase is received by Forum members ??? 2020

The Myth: Neat wiring layouts always equate to great-sounding amps.

The Myth: If I would have lived with MOM & mooched till I was 48 I would play like Clapton !
    Think about it
    won't you ...... Please !