• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

68 SG Special Price Range

Precision40

Hi I'm looking at purchasing my first "vintage" Gibson. More specifically a 68 SG Special. I have found a few for sale, but have settled on one in particular. It appears to be mostly original, nice finish, solid hardware, no obvious defects that detract from it's overall condition, the nut might need to replaced. It's listed on Guitar Center for $2400, but my research put it on the very high end of the price range. It's across country, so obviously would not able to inspect it personally before purchase.

Is $2400 a decent range for this particular guitar? Obviously they might deal if I make an offer. Thanks for your opinions.

Grog

The new VG Price Guide lists the value between $2,500 to $3,350. Reverb has quite a few listed but none in the $2,500 range, with the exception of one that was highly modified. Researching the Price Guide, watching Reverb, GBase & eBay can give you a pretty good idea what price people are asking & what they actually sell for.

El Gringo

I just tried looking this instrument up and could not find it which is no worry . I would be cautious and maybe use the nut replacement as a way to knock some $ off the price as that will cost with a Tech/ Luthier in service and it is not the easiest repair / fix to do . If you are not overly concerned with any finish damage or dings and dents in the area surrounding the nut then go for it . Don't mean to come across as a downer .

Precision40

Thanks for the replies. Based on the info you all provided and my discussions with the seller, I made an offer a little less than asking and am waiting an answer. Thanks again.

El Gringo

Thanks for the replies. Based on the info you all provided and my discussions with the seller, I made an offer a little less than asking and am waiting an answer. Thanks again.
I have to think your chances would be very good .