• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Original '56 Sunburst Finish?

cfh

that's not a 1950s gibson finish in my opinion. i don't think gibson had anything to do with that finish, at any point in history.

brandtkronholm

A few pictures but not much info apart from "custom ordered from Gibson in 1956". Price?
I'll shoot them an enquiry I think.

Please report back if you make the call. I’m curious too.

that's not a 1950s gibson finish in my opinion. i don't think gibson had anything to do with that finish, at any point in history.

I’m inclined to agree but I’d still like to see some pickup cavity pictures for fun.

Also, haven’t we seen this guitar before? I feel like it was on the west coast at one point.

Dishimyuh

it looks like a 70s refin.

show me a pic taken in the 50s and I'll believe it...

This is why I posted this guitar, it just looks odd to me. Even my brother who plays but is not "vintage specific" thought that it looked suspect.

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
It's a shame that this guitar is not better represented on the website. Any details to verify this should be made available.
Why advertise "the first sunburst LP Model" and not show the basic proof? :wah

G.Ham

Fairly certain this one is in the logs. When Walter had the “1st Burst” he acknowledged that this one existed. I will have to dig out some notes.

13F6E832-9263-457E-9EB5-5BF157EED647.jpg
That guitar has shockingly large filled divots (with a rust-colored material that *really* stands out), up to the sixth fret.

jimmi

The
Fairly certain this one is in the logs. When Walter had the “1st Burst” he acknowledged that this one existed. I will have to dig out some notes.

Man, I really have a hard time believing this is an original 50s finish. Maybe they did the same as a JR? We need cavity shots

I don't see what you are talking about in that photo. Do you have a photo that clearly shows that? :hmm

Sorry, Tom - I only took one photo of it, when I was there.
As I attached that one, I realized that it doesn't really highlight that feature!!

There must be decent closeups of the fretboard, out there, I would hope.
In my pic -when viewing on a computer monitor, you can probably see the difference in fretboard color, where there are no inlays, up to the sixth fret.
They're pretty big areas, not narrow, filled grooves.

Sorry that the illustration is pretty weak!

El Gringo

Gibson is not hiding anything and there are enough public records of all the Busts from the hallowed period from 58-60 . Gibson is proud of there heritage and there are no deceptions going on and thusly no conspiracy theories as well .

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
Gibson is not hiding anything and there are enough public records of all the Busts from the hallowed period from 58-60 . Gibson is proud of there heritage and there are no deceptions going on and thusly no conspiracy theories as well .

So, please show is where Gibson has their ledgers publicly posted.
And where in these public records does this 56 show up? :wah

Wally

IF I had what I believed to be the first solid body Les Paul sunburst to have left the factory, I would have as much documentation as possible on hand. if Walter Carter saw this guitar in the ledgers, then he would know the serial number, etc.
What price would there be set on such a guitar? Of interest, what price did Rudy’s have on it?
These pics make me th8nk that the top’s condition is very good compared to the rest of the guitar.

https://rudysmusic.com/used/vintage-gibson-1956-les-paul-first-burst