• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Looking to buy my first Gibson; advice needed

Chimpus

This post was originally a bunch of nonsense so I've shortened it down to what I really wanted to ask. I just don't want to drop two grand on a guitar and end up regretting it is all.

Coming from a PRS guitar, the lighter weight and fret access of an SG appeals to me but I can't decide between an SG or a Les Paul. Does anyone have any tips on reaching the higher frets on a Les Paul? Is this something that even really matters or do you think I'd just eventually get used to it?

Last edited:

Madhermit

This post was originally a bunch of nonsense so I've shortened it down to what I really wanted to ask. I just don't want to drop two grand on a guitar and end up regretting it is all.

Coming from a PRS guitar, the lighter weight and fret access of an SG appeals to me but I can't decide between an SG or a Les Paul. Does anyone have any tips on reaching the higher frets on a Les Paul? Is this something that even really matters or do you think I'd just eventually get used to it?

SGs have probably the best upper fret access there is of the most common designs. SGs and LPs sound massively different to me though. I have an SG Standard and an LP Standard with the same pickups. Not even close to sounding the same. I also have a Singlecut 594. LP sounds way bigger.

johnd5412

I have meaty hands and I have zero trouble accessing the higher frets and I travel that high quite often. I would never buy an SG over a LP but that is my taste.