• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

What's the word on the 2019 R4 or R6 Goldtops?

Blues Bird

Are they as good as the 60th Anni models in the R9 world? Did Gibson change the color for the new 2019 models?
should I go for a 2018 or a 2019 model?

pqs

https://youtu.be/BfrS1nLJWvs?t=4453

According to this, they did indeed change the color of Gibson Custom gold tops a little bit. They talk specifically about an R7, but I think it's safe to assume it's also holds true for the R4 and R6 as well. I haven't played a 2019 R6 yet, but if the 2019 R7 I played is any indication, the R6 should be awesome as well. Personally, I would suggest playing a couple, which I know it's not always feasible, and choosing the one that speaks to you the most regardless of year. With that said I believe there is good chances that you'd be happy with either the 2018 or 2019. There is no right or wrong.

If it were me, and I were to gamble, I'd special order a 2019 R6 from a place like Guitar Center or some other brick and mortar store, provided they have good return policy and free shipping for in-store special order. I know some GC have the reputation of selling new guitars with dents and/or scratches, but they also have a 45 days return policy and I conjecture R6s and R4s, due to being less popular than R8s, R9s and even R0s, would most likely live in their warehouses, not necessarily on display at store floors. Lately they have also been locking up nicer guitars on store floor display, so you need to ask them to try specific guitars. I've been told that was to reduce theft and mitigate the scratches and dents from the past.

Edit: Anyways I’ve been GASing for an R6 myself.