• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

2019 Les Paul Standard 60's Unburst or Iced Tea

ADClope

Color is a very personal thing I know, and I have it narrowed down to these two. Unfortunately we dont have any of them nearby in the slightest, so I cant go see them in person first. Pictures on the internet are all over the place so it's tough to get an idea, in some pictures I like the Iced Tea, in others I like the Unburst. just wanting to get some opinions from you guys.

I like to be able to see some of the grain under the edge shading, which is why I don't care for the Bourbon as it appears black. I feel like the Unburst is slightly too light but the Iced Tea is slightly dark depending on the pictures.

Madhermit

Color is a very personal thing I know, and I have it narrowed down to these two. Unfortunately we dont have any of them nearby in the slightest, so I cant go see them in person first. Pictures on the internet are all over the place so it's tough to get an idea, in some pictures I like the Iced Tea, in others I like the Unburst. just wanting to get some opinions from you guys.

I like to be able to see some of the grain under the edge shading, which is why I don't care for the Bourbon as it appears black. I feel like the Unburst is slightly too light but the Iced Tea is slightly dark depending on the pictures.

I was in the exact same situation. I got my local dealer to bring in an Unburst and an extra Iced Tea, to make 3 to choose from. The unburst was a pale and washed out semi-lemon burst looking thing and not to my liking at all. Not like many of the online pictures I have seen. The Iced Tea was a lot more to my liking, so I ended up with that.

To be fair, I saw 4 total Autumn Shade SGs until I found one that looked like they did online, so I don’t know if other Unburst guitars would be better.

Iced Tea is tricky to photograph. The store picture I quickly took is pretty good though.

6D622A64-7085-4891-BC85-FC7FF151AC13.jpg

ADClope

I was in the exact same situation. I got my local dealer to bring in an Unburst and an extra Iced Tea, to make 3 to choose from. The unburst was a pale and washed out semi-lemon burst looking thing and not to my liking at all. Not like many of the online pictures I have seen. The Iced Tea was a lot more to my liking, so I ended up with that.

To be fair, I saw 4 total Autumn Shade SGs until I found one that looked like they did online, so I don’t know if other Unburst guitars would be better.

Iced Tea is tricky to photograph. The store picture I quickly took is pretty good though.

View attachment 10623

That looks like exactly what I was after. To your point, most images of iced tea that I see on the 60's look far darker than that around the edges. Maybe Ill give the Iced Tea a try.

pqs

Based on the ones I’ve seen, I really like the Ice Tea. They are consistently good. I’m a bourbon burst guy, and I think most of them are good, but I’ve also seen a few bourbon bursts that were meh. The Unburst, I’ve seen awesome ones and some that were very bland. Every single Ice Tea that I’ve seen has been great.

Dale O

I have an un-burst 50's arriving here sometime today. Hopefully it looks as good in person:

LP1.jpg
LP2.jpg
LP3.jpg

pqs

Unburst '50s? Is that a new finish or a special run? Either way, looks awesome!!!

Markv77

I had the same dilemma. So I decided to choose based on which played best and felt balanced on my lap. I hit the few stores that still had some in stock this month, and tried what they had. I was hoping for something with a flamey top, but the best of the bunch turned out to be an iced tea that has very little flame. Straight on, it looks like a plain top. The flame is there in parts if viewed from an angle. The subdued appearance of this one has really grown on me. And I like the Iced Tea. All of the ones I saw in person were not as dark or red as some of the pics online. It reminds me of a burst that has faded over time.

IMG_0419.jpg

IMG_0420.jpg

Big Al

How are those "Unburst"? I have one of those Ltd Issue Guitar of the Week' Les Pauls from several years back that was called the "Unburst". First guitar Gibson ever called that and the unburst finish is close to the Antiqued Natural or a very light Amber with less Yellow.

Now it's a faded cherry or light ice tea? If it has a gradation how can it be "Un"? I hate it when they change names as it gets so confusing.