The Fender Forum
NEW! LPF Facebook Page
NEW! LPF Instagram Page
Merchandise & Donations
NEW! Burst Serial Log Home Page
LPF Homesite

Serial number "dating" for A CS-356...???

Hi All, Not sure if this is the right spot for this kind of question.... (??)

I'm About to buy A used Gibson CS 356 (+ Bigsby) but the current owner couldn't tell me what year It was from...
    I have absolutely no idea how to figure out the Custom Shop Serial Numbers, but the serial number of that particular Guitar IS : CS 86390.... Could anyone tell me in what year It was made Please ???

Thanks in advance, Much appreciated !!!

Greets from Antwerp, Belgium.

Re: Serial number "dating" for A CS-356...???

Best people to ask info on a guitar are those that made it. Gibson have always replied to my enquiries, even if the answer was they didn't know.

They will need to see pics of the guitar including serial number

Les Paul Forum Member

I will take a guess that it's either a 2006 or a 2016 , not sure if CS-356 were made in the 90's ?

Les Paul Forum Member clayville's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El Gringo View Post
    I will take a guess that it's either a 2006 or a 2016 , not sure if CS-356 were made in the 90's ?
    Agree with johnreardon that Gibson is the best source for confirmation, but the first number is usually the Year for regular production models from the Custom Shop with the next four numbers indicating where the guitar falls in the production order. So... my guess is 2008 or 2018.

Pretty sure the CS-336 debuted in 2001 with the blingy CS-356 following in 2002.
    Mine is a 2003.

Les Paul Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by clayville View Post
    Agree with johnreardon that Gibson is the best source for confirmation, but the first number is usually the Year for regular production models from the Custom Shop with the next four numbers indicating where the guitar falls in the production order. So... my guess is 2008 or 2018.

Pretty sure the CS-336 debuted in 2001 with the blingy CS-356 following in 2002.
    Mine is a 2003.
    I think that would be correct for vintage Gibson guitars , but for modern as far as Gibson Custom goes I think the first # is model year and the second # is production year ?

Quote Originally Posted by El Gringo View Post
    I think that would be correct for vintage Gibson guitars , but for modern as far as Gibson Custom goes I think the first # is model year and the second # is production year ?
    "CS" serial numbers don't follow that rule.
    The farther you go, the closer you are.

Quote Originally Posted by J T View Post
    "CS" serial numbers don't follow that rule.
    I used to have a CS336 bought new in 2008 and year of manufacture was 2008. Serial was CS 84053