• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Just bought a Klon ktr

guitcar

I was browsing reverb and came across a Klon KTR at a good price,
now I just can’t wait to see if It’s as good as it supposed to be
to be followed....

DonnRowe

for me Klons sound best with an amp that is cookin' a little :) I set mine at about gain 1 oclock / tone 12 oclock / output 11 oclock. I vary a bit but this is my starting point :) enjoy your find :)

jrgtr42

I've had my eyes on those for a while.
Looking forward to hearing an update.
Still kicking myself that I had a chance to pick up a couple originals around 1999 - 2000 or so, they were $250 or so.
If I knew then what I know now - and not even counting the price they're selling at - more so what they are and what they're for and capable of.

BIG Dave

I've had my eyes on those for a while.
Looking forward to hearing an update.
Still kicking myself that I had a chance to pick up a couple originals around 1999 - 2000 or so, they were $250 or so.
If I knew then what I know now - and not even counting the price they're selling at - more so what they are and what they're for and capable of.

I did exactly that. Purchased a used Gold Horsie version with box and papers off a local Buy/Sell bulletin board about 20 years ago. If I remember correctly, I paid $225. When I picked it up, I asked the seller why he was selling it. He said he “upgraded” to the Clark Gainster. Said it was clearly superior and I should give one a try. (???) I still have that Klon, along with a couple clones. When I was performing, I would take the clones out with me. Didn’t want to worry about someone ripping the Klon off my pedalboard.

But DonnRowe is correct, best to be used to overdrive an already crunchy tube amp. I never enjoyed the distorted sound of the Klon into a clean amp. Instead, think of the Klon as one of the world’s best Boost pedals.

guitcar

I played around with it in my amps (Marshall 1974x,Sewell wampus cat,blackface super reverb
And what I like is that it doesn’t color the actual sound of the amp, like the tube screamer mid boost
It keeps the sound of the amp but it makes it better,I really like it