• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

NGD: Vaschnko '59 Build in Progress: Great Build Photos

marshall1987

Beautiful work and lovely guitar. The fit, finish, materials, and craftsmanship are top notch. But I still have mixed feelings regarding the wood pickup bobbins and mounting rings. Sure they look nice. But I have to think wood bobbins may impact the tone of the pickup. And possibly the performance of the pickup as a whole.

Not intending to be a doom & gloom prophet, but worth considering:

As you know wood is comprised mainly of cellulose, a hygroscopic substance, which can absorb water vapor from the atmosphere and swell. Conversely, in low humidity the moisture content of wood will decrease causing it to contract.

Wood (cellulose), especially when unfinished, is continuously seeking an equilibrium with the atmosphere. As a result, the physical dimensions may fluctuate with changes in humidity. This would not be desirable in a pickup bobbin because it could result in changes in the tension of the windings, or magnet wire. This is not an issue with plastic pickup bobbins.

And if you happen to be a player who sweats a lot during performances, the wood pickup bobbins may absorb moisture from drops of sweat settling on your guitar. Or if outdoors and it starts to rain, your guitar gets wet. Spill a drink....same thing again. Skin oils, grease, dirt, and salts from perspiration may also contaminate the bobbins. What would you clean the bobbins with?

Only the test of time will give the definitive answer. I hope you enjoy your new guitar for many years to come. Cheers.