• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

NGD: Vaschnko '59 Build in Progress: Great Build Photos

Russ2

I admit to an addiction to Vaschenko guitars. Vaschenko is an old world master Luthier who personally builds the entire guitar. Vaschenko includes a wonderful build photo status of your guitar as it progresses. The top on this one is a beauty. I chose an ebony fret board in lieu of rosewood, well because I like ebony:)

The build specs:

Guitar Body - Mahogany 1 piece
Guitar top - Single piece eastern Maple Top
Guitar neck - Mahogany 1 piece
Fretboard - Ebony
Fretwire - Jescar FW10051
Neck binding - Royalite
Body binding - Royalite
Headstock Veneer - Holly veneer
Headstock inlay VV
Tuners - Kluson single line
Nut - Mastadon Bone
Bridge - Kluson ABR1
Tailpiece Kluson Stop tailpiece
Jack - Swithcraft
Jack plate - Cream
Neck Inlay - Cellulose nitrate trapeziod
Neck Side Markers - Faux tortise shell
Pickup rings - M69 style
Truss rod cover - 59 Gibson
Volume Potentiometers - CTS 500k
Tone Potentiometers - CTS 500K
Toggle switch - Switchcraft toggle switch, cream tip
Toggle switch - poker chip Gibson
Capacitors - Russian mil spec PIO .022mf
Knobs - 59 speed knobs
Electronics plates - Matching mahogany
Pickguard - Larry to determine
Pickups Vaschenko wind - Larry to detail
Neck Radius - 12 degrees
Frets - 22
Neck Joint - 59 Gibson long tenon
Neck Carve - Medium C
Cabling - pickups Historic steel jacket
Cabling - switch Historic steel jacket
Cabling - jack Historic steel jacket
Wiring - Style 50's style
Truss rod - Single rod
Truss rod bolt and headstock - assembly Vaschenko 2-way
Headstock - style Gibson 59
Neck width @ Nut 1.695"
Neck width @ Heel 2-1/4"
Neck depth @ first fret 22.5mm (.887")
Neck depth @ 11th fret 24.7mm (0.972")
Scale Length 24.75" (Les Paul)
Finish/Body Top Lemon Burst
Finsh/Body Back and Sides Gibson Faded Red
Finish /Neck Nitrocellulose Lacquer
Finish /Headstock front Nitrocellulose Lacquer
Finish/Headstock Back Nitrocellulose Lacquer
String Guage and action height Gauge 10 - 46 low action
Serial Number Larry to determine

[url]http://vaschenkoguitars.com/[/URL]

001.jpg

002.jpg

004.jpg

005.jpg

006.jpg

008.jpg

011.jpg

Russ2

Vaschenko started to offer pickups upon request for his guitars, he does not sell them otherwise. You can select your bobbins from various wood types and describe what you are looking for. I want to replace all of my pickups now with Vaschenkos! Here is the set from my last Vaschenko:

woody1.jpg

marshall1987

Lovely exquisite wood going into that build! And the attention to detail is laudable.

But I don't get the use of wood pickup bobbins for the humbucking PAF style pickups?: dang.

If you are going through the painstaking process of a custom guitar build like thit, why substitute a material that was never used on the original vintage examples?

Russ2

It is '59ish. This has an ebony fret board, MOP in lays, Grover tuners and a Vaschenko head stock. Having heard the Vaschenko pickups I would not want anything else, they are gorgeous, but it is the sound. Valery worked as an electrical engineer in the Space program for some 20 years, designed and installed electronics. If you get a chance to play a Vaschenko with his pickups you would appreciate them. As they say, vive le difference:peace2 In the alternative, put covers on them:##

Last edited:

Big Al

If I'm having a guitar made, by a Luthier of this skill level, it isn't going to be a kinda sorta copy of a 60 year old factory guitar. I'd want a more personal expression of his skill and knowledge. Beautiful work, just another copy in a crowded field. An original design however, that would get my attention.

Beautiful guitar.

Russ2

Well Al, contact Valery and discuss what you would like. If you can communicate in Russian it will help, otherwise use Google translate. This is what I wanted and at this point in my career I only buy Vaschenko's. Yes there are many builders out there, but none with Valery's skill or quality set OR at his price point imho. Valery has a shop in Belarus and does not have access to a lot of the equipment and staff some may have, Each guitar is made by Valery, no one else touches it. Vive la difference and rock on:peace2 Fyi those pickups are awesome and Valery handmakes them to your specs, but all builders do that, right?

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

J.D.

The flame maple bobbins and matching pickup rings are neat. Would maybe look cool to make a selector switch ring out of maple veneer to match. Might also be cool looking to bind the neck and top with maple veneer instead of the cream plastic. :hmm

BLuesGuitarMart

That is incredible! One of the most beautiful guitars I've ever seen, I didn't think I'd be onboard with the wooden bobbins but actually they look great.

Do you speak Russian or do you use Google? Do you find it difficult to convey what you want?

Russ2

That is incredible! One of the most beautiful guitars I've ever seen, I didn't think I'd be onboard with the wooden bobbins but actually they look great.

Do you speak Russian or do you use Google? Do you find it difficult to convey what you want?

He has someone who helps. Contact him via his Facebook page and you will get a response from an English speaker who is a great guy and also knows guitars. Great communication and delivery as outlined up front.