• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

opinions please; cover that pickup or leave it naked?

Smellytele

This is just for fun, so no wrong answers. I may end up putting an aged cover on the bridge pu of my new R9. What do y'all think? Also, this one is heavy aged and with gold hardware (and grover tuners), and I can't find any other examples of this anywhere. Any of you had an R9 come with gold hardware and grover tuners?? It's got basically the same specs as the 60th anniversary models as far as electronics (unpotted pickups, wiring, etc.) and build (59 Standard). But the gold hardware (aged) and heavy aged finish is definitely different. Any thoughts on that would also be appreciated. It's all in fun, I love this guitar with all of my heart, best playing electric guitar I've ever held and gives me joy even when I'm just thinking about it. LOL! I didn't ever like gold hardware before, but I gotta say, I like how it looks on this guitar.
File Dec 08, 11 39 54 AM.jpgFile Dec 08, 11 40 23 AM.jpgIMG_6825.jpgIMG_6832.jpg

Hemi

I put chrome Gibson covers on my Gibson Traditional proIII. Cover them pups

Norton

The only humbuckers that should go uncovered are zebras:peace2

Big Al

Do you have that guitar, or just the pics?
It's an obvious attempt at a Page Burst. Are there push/pull pots? Some dumb ass posts about someone's axe.

Musicman

Do you have that guitar, or just the pics?
It's an obvious attempt at a Page Burst. Are there push/pull pots? Some dumb ass posts about someone's axe.

Al's right. If you like the Page look leave it. Otherwise I would cover it.

Big Al

There are sonic benefits to uncovered humbuckers. If you like that tone then go for it, if not cover it. To do it for fashion, or some forum dictate seems just way to High School too me. Same for any lame edicts for which color or color combos get covered or not. Them's the new rules now, Barbies?

Really. If that look bothers you then undo it. If not, then who cares what the BBB thinks?

The Page thing has a lot of appeal, even among the BBB 'cause he sits at the cool kids table, uncovered bridge pup, gold Grovers, ect.. Some dealers had fsr JP style Les Pauls done as they are quite popular. The thing is many came with two or all four pots with pull switching, which I find most useful. If that doesn't I'd check to see if it has 4 conductor pup wiring. It may be that a previous owner like the JP look and made the changes.

pqs

I usually prefer the look of covered humbuckers, but I think the uncovered bridge humbucker suits that guitar. I’d leave it uncovered and rock the Page look.

57Strat777

I think covers look best. But I also really like the uncovered look in double white or zebra. I don't care for uncovered double black at all.

Smellytele

thanks for the input everyone! I think I'm gonna order a cover after the holidays and see how I like it. Worse comes to worse, I can take it back off and sell it. This guitar is amazing, the best electric I've ever played. Had to move two really nice guitars to get her, but absolutely MORE than worth it.

El Gringo

thanks for the input everyone! I think I'm gonna order a cover after the holidays and see how I like it. Worse comes to worse, I can take it back off and sell it. This guitar is amazing, the best electric I've ever played. Had to move two really nice guitars to get her, but absolutely MORE than worth it.

I have to ask what the inspiration is for your online name ? Is it because it rimes ? or maybe you actually had a smelly Tele ? I just happened to catch it and couldn't help myself and had to ask . Anyway I think it's unique which is a good thing as Martha likes to say !

marshall1987

I say leave the covers on! :dude: My rational for keeping PAF covers on comes from seeing many of my favorite rock guitarists in the late '60s and early '70s. They shared many things in common with regard to guitars and amps. For example:

I was heavily influenced by a very talented British guitarist (Geoff Richardson, transplanted from London to Northern VA/D.C.) who played in a local power-trio rock band back in the late '60s and early '70s. The band was called Crank and also featured Johnny Castle on bass. Crank played anywhere they could back then...from the popular nightclubs in Georgetown, to college and high school auditoriums.

Geoff played a refinished sunburst 1957 goldtop with original PAFs and covers. He also used a coiled guitar cord to his Marshall 100 watt half-stack. I don't think he used any pedals whatsoever. He plugged straight in to his Marshall, as many guitarists did back then (unless the music called for a Crybaby).

Back in the day, widespread use of a coiled cord and a Les Paul w/ original PAF covers helped tame the ear-piercing highs coming out of a typical 100 watt Marshall. Those guitar players were not shy about pushing their amps extremely hard. In the typical auditorium or nightclub, PA systems were used for vocals and drums only. The guitar and bass players had to fill the auditorium using only the amps set up on the stage. Like many other rock players, Geoff would frequently "blow" (actually melt the voice coils!) of the Celestion speakers , so he would usually bring one or two spare 4X12" cabinets.

The tone Geoff got out of his Marshall/Les Paul rig just blew me away. I had never heard anything like it at that time (1969). Geoff could play soft and subtle, or loud as a diesel locomotive, and anything in-between. Crank played British Invasion rock covers from bands like Cream, The Who, Blodwyn Pig, and Jethro Tull. An added benefit of a cranked Marshall is the saturated sizzling compression you achieve when the speakers get real hot and loose their efficiency. This is the "classic Marshall tone" that was so desirable and essential to the music.

The photo below shows Geoff Richardson w/ Crank playing on the gymnasium stage at Fort Hunt High School in 1971. They were the opening act for the Ides of March, featuring Jim Peterik playing his Les Paul goldtop.

Smellytele

I have to ask what the inspiration is for your online name ? Is it because it rimes ? or maybe you actually had a smelly Tele ? I just happened to catch it and couldn't help myself and had to ask . Anyway I think it's unique which is a good thing as Martha likes to say !
It's a long story. But basically WAY back when I was writing and playing music with my two best pals, the bass player and I played Tele's and we said the drummer was smelly. Two Tele's And A Smelly. Terrible name for a band, so we scrapped that idea, but I always liked the way it sounded, so I kept it as my screen name. It's been that way for over two decades. It's the name I use for gaming as well. Most people assume it has something to do with television. You're the only person who has ever asked where it came from and now you are one of the very few who know. Not even my wife has ever asked me LOL! I love Tele's with all my heart and most people who know me associate me with my Nocaster, but I love this Lester SO damn much, haven't touched any of my Tele's in about a month LOL! First Les Paul I've owned in about 15 years. Had a CS336 all that time, so I wasn't without a Gibson, but this R9 is a whole other level of guitar.

El Gringo

It's a long story. But basically WAY back when I was writing and playing music with my two best pals, the bass player and I played Tele's and we said the drummer was smelly. Two Tele's And A Smelly. Terrible name for a band, so we scrapped that idea, but I always liked the way it sounded, so I kept it as my screen name. It's been that way for over two decades. It's the name I use for gaming as well. Most people assume it has something to do with television. You're the only person who has ever asked where it came from and now you are one of the very few who know. Not even my wife has ever asked me LOL! I love Tele's with all my heart and most people who know me associate me with my Nocaster, but I love this Lester SO damn much, haven't touched any of my Tele's in about a month LOL! First Les Paul I've owned in about 15 years. Had a CS336 all that time, so I wasn't without a Gibson, but this R9 is a whole other level of guitar.

That is a most awesome story and origin of a unique name and as I like the Telecaster myself and have 3 of them I just love it . That's one of the things that is so cool about our passion for making music and the challenge of it . Thank You Kindly for the awesome story and details ! Leave the covers on and as the age and tarnish a smidge the patina if that is the correct term for it is also very cool to my eyes for what that's worth . Now rock out on your awesome Les Paul ! Looking at your photos once again I get the look of leaving the bridge cover off A-LA Jimmy Page . Beautiful color and figure for your Les Paul !

renderit

I cut my covers in half and leave the low E side covered and the top three strings uncovered.

I also ride a three wheeler.
Am three feet tall.
Have three wives.
Have an IQ of 3...