The Fender Forum
NEW! LPF Facebook Page
NEW! LPF Instagram Page
Merchandise & Donations
NEW! Burst Serial Log Home Page
LPF Homesite
    Les Paul Forum Member marshall1987's Avatar
    Feuding With "Devil Anse" Hatfield on the Tug Fork

Old Mahogany Bed, Henkel-Harris, Winchester, VA, Should I Repurpose for Guitar?

I have an old American made solid mahogany bed made by Henkel-Harris Co. back in the 1980s. It's a colonial style pencil-post bed made in Winchester, VA in the mid-1980s.

Unfortunately the two 7-ft. long mahogany side-rails/boards have warped over the years making the bed unusable. I can't think of any solution that would straighten the long planks of mahogany.

It's such a shame because the bed is made from beautiful high-end furniture grade mahogany. I was thinking the mahogany would be suitable for repurposing as mahogany wood stock for new custom built guitar(s). The long pencil-posts on each corner are almost 8 feet long and would make excellent guitar necks IMO. The large headboard and footboard slabs aren't thick enough for a one-piece guitar bodies unless used for an SG style guitar.

Any suggestions?

See photos below.

"Scan not a friend under a microscopic glass; you know his faults so let his foibles pass".

Sir Frank Crisp
    Friar Park
    London, England

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner Tom Wittrock's Avatar

Re: Old Mahogany Bed, Henkel-Harris, Winchester, VA, Should I Repurpose for Guitar?

Talk to some luthiers and see what they say about the wood. I assume most of them thought about this in their formative years.
    Pauls to the walls!

Hüter der Flammen!

PLEASE SUPPORT www.burstserial.com !!
    Click here: www.burstserial.com

Re: Old Mahogany Bed, Henkel-Harris, Winchester, VA, Should I Repurpose for Guitar?

Perhaps a Norlin-style layered pancake build, with multi-piece neck?

I thought about a Les Paul sandwich body but not sure I would want one. There is ample wood stock to carve several one-piece mahogany necks from the 8-foot posts on each corner. I could get as many as eight necks made.
    "Scan not a friend under a microscopic glass; you know his faults so let his foibles pass".

Sir Frank Crisp
    Friar Park
    London, England

I think it'd be interesting to layer, with some chambering... food for thought. Good news about the neck pieces

Les Paul Forum Member gibson-r8's Avatar

Replace the side rails and it’s still a bed.

78 Les Paul Recording

Quote Originally Posted by gibson-r8 View Post
    Replace the side rails and it’s still a bed.
    Ya' think that I may have considered that already?

Not that simple....the bed posts and side rails have proprietary fittings, and the manufacturer no longer makes the specific type found on my old bed because the past problems with warping.

Sir Frank Crisp
    Friar Park
    London, England

Quote Originally Posted by jb_abides View Post
    Perhaps a Norlin-style layered pancake build, with multi-piece neck?

The possibilty of strong badassness could happen with that.
    ​We Are The People We Have Been Waiting For