• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

NVGD! 1964 Epiphone Wilshire SB-432v, factory Polaris White Custom Finish!

RAB

Celebrating today! Plays and sounds great with the powerful mini-humbuckers...large, chunky neck profile which is very unusual for these mid-60's batwing headstock Epiphones! The other unusual feature is the vibrato tailpiece. It's a "short" Maestro more commonly found on lesser model Epi solid bodies such as the Olympic. And you can find them on similar era Gibson SG Specials...looking forward to hearing from other Epiphone solid body guitar fans. I'll be gigging this Wilshire a lot! Best, RAB

65Firebird

Sweet looking Epiphone, that baby should scream.

Congratulations!:salude

RAB

Sweet looking Epiphone, that baby should scream.

Congratulations!:salude

Thanks for your support! Scream it does! I was playing it today through my ‘64 non-reverb Fender Deluxe, 2003 Barber Direct Drive Super Sport OD and Mad Professor Deep Blue digital delay, hand wired. In addition to robust lead tones the guitar offers a rich rhythm sound on the neck pup and funky tones in the middle position. I’d describe the sound as the love child of a Strat and a Les Paul!:jim

miczap

I’ve had my eye on a silver fox coronet for a while. Love those things.

awesome find though- that’s a pretty one for sure.

RAB

I’ve had my eye on a silver fox coronet for a while. Love those things.

awesome find though- that’s a pretty one for sure.

Thanks! I had a super rare 1963 Wilshire, one of the earliest batwing models, cherry red, factory stop tailpiece. It was cool but this white ‘64 plays and sounds better! :hank

RAB

Thanks! I had a super rare 1963 Wilshire, one of the earliest batwing models, cherry red, factory stop tailpiece. It was cool but this white ‘64 plays and sounds better! :hank

Must be some other Epi solidbody fans out there? Let’s hear from ya! :hank

JimR56

Nice looking guitar, RAB! :salude

I've never been as much of a solidbody guy, but you know what I think about those pickups. Congrats! I hope it lifts you to new heights and new sonic adventures, as a new acquisition like this should. If you get any new videos shot, please post some links here.

RAB

Nice looking guitar, RAB! :salude

I've never been as much of a solidbody guy, but you know what I think about those pickups. Congrats! I hope it lifts you to new heights and new sonic adventures, as a new acquisition like this should. If you get any new videos shot, please post some links here.

Thanks Jim! It does play and sound great! A very resonant slab of Honduras Mahogany aided by a lot of metal mass from the trem! :applaude

OKGuitar

As a 335 guy, my guilty pleasure is my near mint 61 Wilshire (P90s, stop tail). I had one when I was 14 and I've owned at least a half dozen since. Better than a LP Special and lighter too. The only 60's Gibson made P90 solid body with an ABR-1. The early batwings are great too but that Trem-o-tone is not my cuppa tea. By 65 the neck gets pretty slim.

RAB

As a 335 guy, my guilty pleasure is my near mint 61 Wilshire (P90s, stop tail). I had one when I was 14 and I've owned at least a half dozen since. Better than a LP Special and lighter too. The only 60's Gibson made P90 solid body with an ABR-1. The early batwings are great too but that Trem-o-tone is not my cuppa tea. By 65 the neck gets pretty slim.

Charlie, enjoy your ‘61 Wilshire! In addition to being great playing and sounding guitars they are also one of the most beautiful with their symmetrical double cutaway design! :hank

sonar

Must be some other Epi solidbody fans out there? Let’s hear from ya! :hank

'61 Coronet with the metal Epi logo here. More or less the same model as Marriot's rebranded Dwight.

I haven't played a SG Jr. (or any SG) that I like as much as my Coronet, which I've owned since the mid 90's. Early 60's P90's can be a tad aggressive, which has both +'s and -'s. The neck profile is slim with a little shoulder - very comfortable, and the sucker is feather light.

The batwing pickguard is shrinking (cracking around the screw holes) which overall was not a great design feature. Other than that, great guitar!

RAB

Beautiful guitars! Simplicity itself and great sound from that single P90! :peace2

Capt Brad

Very cool guitar! Love Episons from this era!
I have a 64 Coronet in Polaris white but wonder if OE?
Does your Wilshire have white paint on the sides of the fretboard?

RAB

Very cool guitar! Love Episons from this era!
I have a 64 Coronet in Polaris white but wonder if OE?
Does your Wilshire have white paint on the sides of the fretboard?

Yes, the Wilshire does have the white paint completely covering the sides of the fingerboard...no neck binding of course this being the Wilshire model. The higher priced Crestwood models had binding...never seen a white Coronet but should be possible! :peace2