• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Question about neck stripping

Snowmonkey

Hi all, I thought I'd break my silence and finally make a post here.

I have a studio in faded cherry, which seems to be the finish that everyone loves to strip and play about with! I had my local luthier strip the neck because I didn't like the feel of it. It is really smooth now, plays great. But the only finish he has put on it is wax. He makes basses and says this is how he usually finishes his bass necks.

However, I have since read a lot about how mahogany needs protecting. Has anyone had any experience of using wax only on a Les Paul neck? It is a beater guitar, I use it a lot, so I guess I should keep an eye on it and re-apply wax to keep it protected.

Any advice would be great. And i know I have just slashed the value of the guitar by doing this, but it only cost 500 € and I bought it to use it!

Last edited: