• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Early '80s Korina Flying Vs

hogy

I've been wanting a "different" guitar for a while, specifically, a Flying V.

I remember way back I had a friend who collected early 1980s Vs and Modernes. If memory serves, they were real Korina, and they were light as a feather. He had like 7 of those things and every one of them felt like it floated.

Can you guys refresh my memory about those guitars? I want to say they were called "A Series", or something? I was too much of a vintage snob at the time and couldn't care less about those "new guitars".

What am I looking for, trying to find one of those? Were they all Korina? What serial number ranges apply? I vaguely remember there was a "B" and "C" series as well? Or am I making that up?

There is surprisingly little that a simple "A Series Korina V" google search turns up.

miczap

Pretty sure you’re talking about the Heritage Series. I wasn’t aware they had any sub-series from there as the run was quite limited (82-83).

deytookerjaabs

They're not always featherweights per se, but what's a heavy V? 8lbs? Ha!

Obviously there's the notable differences, but it's not like you don't see repairs/screws/dowels in some of the few vintage V neck joints out there, where does the vintage chase end? Haven't seen said repairs on the early reissues.

I don't know the designation for the series beyond "Heritage" and just assumed all early 80's Korina stuff is those early reissue guitars that were originally Korina. I got to play and set up two red/cherry/transparent ones back in a shop I apprenticed at in Chicago, both V's owned by the same guy and they felt great. I think they're the first flying V's I ever bothered to play as I was too honorable a man to be seen with such flashy bravado before then, boy was I wrong, what character a V has.

Uhg, I recently got a mid 90's FCS "relic" "Mary Kaye" as I used to drool over one hard 15 years ago in a shop I taught at, played it all the time but couldn't get the dough together. It was kinda old then. I now own one but holy **** it's almost 25 years old already! Those 80's Korina's are as old as I am :dang Damn it flies by.

Go to Reverb, enter "Gibson Korina" in the search bar and after the results pop up click "1980's" in the "Decade" bar on the left side. There's usually about 10-15 for sale at any time and you might find one built by LPF member Randy AKA "Strings Jr" at that! Looks like there's a white one over here at Rumble Seat, real purdy, also 6G's. You can do the same at GBase. And, if weight/neck matters just shoot the seller a message if the specs aren't listed in the description.

Last edited:

sglp63

The Heritage Flying Vs were produced by Gibson from 1981 to 1983 or thereabouts. The serial numbers were either A, B or C plus three digits. They are not fully accurate reproductions of the original V, for example, amongs others, body dimensions are (IIRC) slightly smaller than the original version and they are sometimes made up of 3 pieces of Korina, so that the seam is not in the middle of the body and the graining runs parallel to the neck as opposed to edge of the body.

Mine weighs 3.1kg or 6lbs 13oz, i.e. it's pretty lightweight...

sglp63

Here's a photo of mine:

5584497527_166946d0ea_k.jpg
[/IMG]

lonesomesheik

I had one of those, it was hard to get here in France, I want a two piece , got, a three piece guitar body and the grain did not make any V. The frets where poorly finished on the treble side. Did not kept it for long, I thought Gibson made a fool of poor me:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Strings Jr.

If you just want something different, and Korina, I would suggest a Moderne.

IMO, they were much more comfortable to play. Once you get used to the peghead (and you will), they are a great Korina guitar.