• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Mystery les paul possible 54 custom?

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
I guess a more specific question is does anyone know if the early 70s custom reissues featured the round wiring channel and a laminated top?

What early 70s Custom reissue had humbuckers? :wah

Tenzona

True, like I said I keep learning more about it all the time only had it a week. One theory I heard earlier was it was a 50s p90 guitar routed during transition for humbuckers?
The circular input route seemed like a dealbreaker at first but also read they did it in the 70s so who knows. I am here so that more expert eyes than mine can weigh in and I appreciate it thank you

QUOTE=Tom Wittrock;2847735]What early 70s Custom reissue had humbuckers? :wah[/QUOTE]

Maxmc

attachment.php

OOPS! indeed! I'd move it on.

britbender

The 70s reisssues neither had volutes nor multiple piece bodies, my guess is a jap of some sort or,
a unknown 50s gibson prototype worth big $$$

T.Allen

I seriously doubt that guitar was made by Gibson. :hmm

I have to agree. I see more wrong than right. That neck heel is so wrong. The tailpiece is not positioned correctly. The pickup routes aren't right. The electronics cavity is not right...Not a Gibson IMO.

Tenzona

Hey everyone I put it under a black light and the body has the snot green glow that extends up the neck, fading more and more and then none at the headstock. Not for nothing but it also smells exactly like my 65 Olympic and my 65 Hummingbird, that old gibson smell is very familiar to me laugh all you want!!
Could this indicate a headstock replacement?

Agreed! As poor man's burst pointed out - those humbucking routes are horrendously NOT Gibson! :salude

T.Allen

I wouldn't doubt that it is old and has an old smell. It's just not a Gibson.

Tenzona

I would love to see pictures of LPCs being made in the 50s, as well as pictures of 50s LPCs with the paint stripped off either for refin or whatever. If you guys have them lets have a look, because I sure cannot find any.

I wouldn't doubt that it is old and has an old smell. It's just not a Gibson.

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
Hey everyone I put it under a black light and the body has the snot green glow that extends up the neck, fading more and more and then none at the headstock. Not for nothing but it also smells exactly like my 65 Olympic and my 65 Hummingbird, that old gibson smell is very familiar to me laugh all you want!!
Could this indicate a headstock replacement?

>:rofl<

Tenzona

You guys are cool!!! Here are some black light shots. Kind of brushed on around the neck joint but not much other than the body. Also to those who said its an "asian copy" I would love to see another mahog topped custom in nitro like this from asia please take your best shot. And yes, a carved top means a piece of wood (usually 2 or 3 pieces joined) glued onto the BACK piece and carved. Suprised to see a lot of confusion about that on this forum!

20191210_182702.jpg20191210_182659.jpg20191210_182502.jpg20191210_182523.jpg

T.Allen

I don't think it is an asian copy. More likely, it is a billy bob basement build. This may just be a vintage one. If you can get it straight, playable and sounding good, just play it. But, it is not a mysterious collectible.

Tenzona

I absolutely will be doing exactly that! As I said earlier it is a real player with an amazing neck. I think I will name it Billy Bob I love that thanks T!

QUOTE=T.Allen;2848065]I don't think it is an asian copy. More likely, it is a billy bob basement build. This may just be a vintage one. If you can get it straight, playable and sounding good, just play it. But, it is not a mysterious collectible.[/QUOTE]

Tenzona

Very early body with some messy hand done mods

QUOTE=Tom Wittrock;2848070]So, who do you think built it? :hmm[/QUOTE]

NachoMan77

Dude, you're delusional to stick to that story after several experts here told you that ain't a Gibson made guitar, which as an owner of a '68 LPC and a '72 LPC 54RI I wholeheartedly agree.

Fix it and play it, hopefully you'll get a nice guitar at the end, but stop trying to make up excuses for it.