• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Mystery les paul possible 54 custom?

Tenzona

I have been speaking with Gibson directly for 2 days here is the latest :

[FONT=&quot][/FONT] [FONT=&quot]"Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, we wouldn’t be able to authenticate this as a Gibson product due to the modifications. The 50’s Les Paul Custom model indeed had a mahogany top on top of a mahogany body."

I am still waiting for pictures of a 50s LPC with the top visible, from anyone anywhere who can find one. Add to that a picture of an ALL MAHOGANY LES PAUL CUSTOM MADE FROM 1 PIECE, find and show me proof of this. I have not seen one picture of one, nor have I seen one in real life, and Gibson DIRECTLY answered my question right from the source.
This is not over!

[/FONT]

Non Gibson "Period"

T.Allen

"Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, we wouldn’t be able to authenticate this as a Gibson product due to the modifications. The 50’s Les Paul Custom model indeed had a mahogany top on top of a mahogany body."

I am still waiting for pictures of a 50s LPC with the top visible, from anyone anywhere who can find one. Add to that a picture of an ALL MAHOGANY LES PAUL CUSTOM MADE FROM 1 PIECE, find and show me proof of this. I have not seen one picture of one, nor have I seen one in real life, and Gibson DIRECTLY answered my question right from the source.
This is not over!

It is completely irrelevant whether or not your guitar is constructed like a 50's LPC. That body did not come out of the factory in Kalamazoo. Nor did it come out of any other Gibson factory. Billy Bob built it in his basement. It is about as over as it can get.

darkwave

You seem to be missing the point that there are recognized experts here mixed in with uninformed opinions. The people who know state that the original c
Customs were a single piece of mahogany and I've seen enough info over the years to take that as the truth.

With Gibson, there are always exceptions (such as the occasional all-mahogany Standard) but they are just that - exceptions to the rule. I don't necessarily take the modern company's (customer support?) statement as fact in this case - they also are on record raving about the "New York Mini Humbuckers" used on classic Epiphones. Those are two very different pickups that only bear a passing resemblance.

-Douglas C.

[FONT=&quot][/FONT] [FONT=&quot]"Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, we wouldn’t be able to authenticate this as a Gibson product due to the modifications. The 50’s Les Paul Custom model indeed had a mahogany top on top of a mahogany body."

This is not over!

[/FONT]

Tenzona

WHERES THE PROOF BEYOND WHAT YOU GUYS FEEL LIKE? SHOW ME A PICTURE SHOW ME AN ARTICLE SHOW ME ANYTHING THAT SAYS GIBSON USES 1 PIECE BODIES FOR CUSTOMS, STILL WAITING!

You seem to be missing the point that there are recognized experts here mixed in with uninformed opinions. The people who know state that the original c
Customs were a single piece of mahogany and I've seen enough info over the years to take that as the truth.

With Gibson, there are always exceptions (such as the occasional all-mahogany Standard) but they are just that - exceptions to the rule. I don't necessarily take the modern company's (customer support?) statement as fact in this case - they also are on record raving about the "New York Mini Humbuckers" used on classic Epiphones. Those are two very different pickups that only bear a passing resemblance.

-Douglas C.

darkwave

Sorry - but there's plenty published and direct experience out there that you seem to be ignoring in favor of the scenario that you "feel" makes sense. Some of those with direct experience have posted in this thread. No reason for Gibson to drill the round channel in Customs if they were made the same as Standards in the 50's. They did fake it later with some reissues, but only because it was a detail that nerds like us looked for.

Not crapping on your purchase - it may be a fine instrument, but you asked for insight then ignored it.

- Douglas C.

WHERES THE PROOF BEYOND WHAT YOU GUYS FEEL LIKE? SHOW ME A PICTURE SHOW ME AN ARTICLE SHOW ME ANYTHING THAT SAYS GIBSON USES 1 PIECE BODIES FOR CUSTOMS, STILL WAITING!

QUOTE=darkwave;2848265]You seem to be missing the point that there are recognized experts here mixed in with uninformed opinions. The people who know state that the original c

-Douglas C.
[/QUOTE]

T.Allen

When authenticating what looks like an original 50's Gibson, you will typically try to find one thing wrong with it and go from there.

You are trying to find one thing right with that guitar. It is not a Gibson.

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner

DUDE! Chill out. Your attitude is totally unwarranted and unnecessary.
Nobody here is REQUIRED to prove anything to you, or anyone else.
If you think that those of us, who during the last 3-5 decades have held these in our hands, are dead wrong with what we have owned, held, observed, etc, who cares.
If YOU want this "evidence", just look it up. It's in numerous sources and photos are out there. Probably many right here.
Read the more authoritative, expert books on the subject. Robb Lawrence's book is a great start [amongst many].

:)

Tenzona

Ok!

When authenticating what looks like an original 50's Gibson, you will typically try to find one thing wrong with it and go from there.

You are trying to find one thing right with that guitar. It is not a Gibson.

Rev.WillieVK

All right, enough already.

Tenzona - please look up the terms 'tenon' and 'mortise' and how they apply to GIBSON Les Paul guitar necks.

1953 Les Paul Goldtop - see the tenon inside the mortise in neck pickup cavity?
i-s69Z66w.jpg

1954 Les Paul Goldtop - see the tenon inside the mortise in neck pickup cavity?
i-8NkHnGC.jpg

1956 Les Paul Custom - see the tenon inside the mortise in neck pickup cavity" I know it hard to see under the black paint.
i-6HFph8T.jpg

1958 Les Paul Goldtop - see the correct humbucking pickup route with the sharp edges and the deeper sections for the pickup legs?
This route has been used on every single-cutaway Gibson Les Paul 'Standard' or Custom made since 1957.
i-cjH8jdB.jpg

SO
1) your guitar has a neck mortise & tenon that was never used in any vintage single cutaway Gibson Les Paul 'Standard' or Custom made 1952-1969

2) your guitar has humbucking pickup routes that were never used on ANY single cutaway Gibson Les Paul 'Standard' or Custom

Your guitar may be cool, it may be great, it may be the best playing and best sounding Les Paul ever - but it is NOT A GIBSON.

:salude

corpse

...and in 18 mos it will turn up for sale as "an early Gibson conversion".

Tenzona

I wont be doing that and even if I did you have all the evidence you need to take me to BURST COURT!! (humidity must be kept low)

...and in 18 mos it will turn up for sale as "an early Gibson conversion".

Tenzona

Alright enough already yourself! I theorized that it was renecked with a transitional tenon and hogged out badly by hand, NOT SAYING THAT WAS GIBSONS DOING. I have had lots of big name shops say it was a norlin, which I dont believe. I should have signed up on the other forum!

[SUP][/SUP]QUOTE=Rev.WillieVK;2848312]All right, enough already.
Tenzona - please look up the terms 'tenon' and 'mortise' and how they apply to GIBSON Les Paul guitar necks.

1953 Les Paul Goldtop - see the tenon inside the mortise in neck pickup cavity?
i-s69Z66w.jpg

1954 Les Paul Goldtop - see the tenon inside the mortise in neck pickup cavity?
i-8NkHnGC.jpg

1956 Les Paul Custom - see the tenon inside the mortise in neck pickup cavity" I know it hard to see under the black paint.
i-6HFph8T.jpg

1958 Les Paul Goldtop - see the correct humbucking pickup route with the sharp edges and the deeper sections for the pickup legs?
This route has been used on every single-cutaway Gibson Les Paul 'Standard' or Custom made since 1957.
i-cjH8jdB.jpg

SO
1) your guitar has a neck mortise & tenon that was never used in any vintage single cutaway Gibson Les Paul 'Standard' or Custom made 1952-1969

2) your guitar has humbucking pickup routes that were never used on ANY single cutaway Gibson Les Paul 'Standard' or Custom

Your guitar may be cool, it may be great, it may be the best playing and best sounding Les Paul ever - but it is NOT A GIBSON.

:salude[/QUOTE]

Rev.WillieVK

Alright enough already yourself! I theorized that it was renecked with a transitional tenon and hogged out badly by hand, NOT SAYING THAT WAS GIBSONS DOING. I have had lots of big name shops say it was a norlin, which I dont believe. I should have signed up on the other forum!

With no original Gibson factory neck mortise, drill hole or not, this was never a vintage 1953-1961 Gibson Les Paul Custom.

:salude

See you at the other forum! :eek:la

Last edited:

Big Al

None of the cavities are correct, vintage or norlin. It seems you just want conformation of your pretense and nothing but. I too will be watching for the future "early 50's conversion". I don't doubt it, or it's being trolled, fishing for an "as is" bite. Something that occurs here often enough.

if not

Fix it up, make a player out of it. Be a cool project and I'd follow the job with interest. Wouldn't care to see it logo'd Gibson, though.

Tenzona

I will be fixing it up and showing here, I have your issue of rolling stone btw!!!

None of the cavities are correct, vintage or norlin. It seems you just want conformation of your pretense and nothing but. I too will be watching for the future "early 50's conversion". I don't doubt it, or it's being trolled, fishing for an "as is" bite. Something that occurs here often enough.

if not

Fix it up, make a player out of it. Be a cool project and I'd follow the job with interest. Wouldn't care to see it logo'd Gibson, though.