• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Timbuckers vs. Throbacks

58Lee

Can anyone provide comments regarding tone comparisons of Timbuckers and Throback SLE 101s? I currently have Tim’s in an ‘02 R8 and am interested in the 101s.
Thanks very much.

Big Al

My double cream Ed A wind Timbuckers were almost exact sounding to my favorite pair of Zebra 1959 Pafs I kept for over 30 years. You know how good they sound. I don't own any Throbaks but I was lent a pair for use in 2010. I can't remember exact model details but I think MX101 or MV101?

I know about the details of paf and other Gibson humbuckers and up until medical expenses forced me to sell the last of my stash of old pickups, I had some to A/B with. In every detail the Throbaks were virtually identical. I've never seen, or heard a more accurate paf clone. What impressed me, besides the ridiculous level of accuracy, was how right these clones sound. The paf hallmarks I listen for were ALL there.

Double Tone was present in force. Play a high C# on the E string and bend it up a half step to D with moderate amp overdrive, and relax it back to C#. Cry, baby cry! It is bright without harsh brittleness and the double tone grows as the note blooms.

Clarity, power, and bite yet with a solid bass kachunka. The kind of tone Kossof would milk on Mr Big. They nailed that brite punchy tone I like which morphs into that woody complex growl on the low strings. Great for that early mid 70's Jeff Beck. The Throbaks really, really respond well to volume and tone knob twiddleing. VERY DYNAMIC!! More so than my Timbuckers.

I had to return them when my friend and cohort, Tommy's custom built guitar was ready for pickups. They sound awesome in his custom semi-hollow guitar. If I had a budget that allowed for a pair, and my health was better, I'd pounce on them.

My Timbuckers kick a little harder and sing sweetly. The Throbaks are more complex especially going from bite to moan on the same note. If you got the chops, there is an amazing range of tones to exploit. Besides being the most accurate paf, I've seen, Throbaks are great sounding pickups. Musical bastards for my tastes and a great way to experience vintage tone.

TM1

Throbaks🎶🎶🎶👍🏻👍🏻
89e46991-f4b1-42cb-9506-fca0c357fc1e

El Gringo

What Big Al said ! ( also I have them loaded in 8 Les Paul's of mine and they are to die for ) ThroBak MXV-SLE-101 Plus with A 5 magnets www.throbak.com

goldtop0

Okay you guys I'll go with my Tims only because you're waxing just far too lyrical about the TBs.
I'll qualify this by saying that I haven't had a good pair of PAFs to compare to in my historics over the years(had 3 from a '61 SG LP for a number of years) and have only played maybe one or two bursts or GTs that floated my boat out of the 15 or so I was able to get with when I was at Arlington in 2011.
Got my sets way back when Tim was doing them and never looked back.
They do it for me..............I rest my case:dude:

m bernardi

all the big guys PAF'S are good you have to find what works best in your guitar!!!! I have 1 or 2 sets of each some sound great in one guitar and ok in another!!!! you just have to try the throwbacks out and see buy used if need be:hank

Big Al

Okay you guys I'll go with my Tims only because you're waxing just far too lyrical about the TBs.
I'll qualify this by saying that I haven't had a good pair of PAFs to compare to in my historics over the years(had 3 from a '61 SG LP for a number of years) and have only played maybe one or two bursts or GTs that floated my boat out of the 15 or so I was able to get with when I was at Arlington in 2011.
Got my sets way back when Tim was doing them and never looked back.
They do it for me..............I rest my case:dude:

Who said you had to change? They do not sound the same and there are differences in build. The build authenticity is of great importance. Both sound like pafs, like every winder of note.

My Timbuckers have never left my '99 R9 since I put them in, long before you got yours, btw. Same for my Seymour wound 90's Antiquities in my #1 2000 R9. They all sound just like pafs. I've owned so many paf pickups. I started hoarding them in the 70's. They can vary quite a lot and all the good paf clones fit right in.

What I like, as I've been lucky enough to accumulate quite a few Standards, is to have different options available to me. I have no interest in having the same pickup in all my guitars, or color or type of figured maple.

I'm like you, if I find a pickup I like in a guitar, THATS IT! SEARCH OVER THEY STAY!!! I'm done lookin', and I just don't get why so many can't be satisfied.

I liked the ThroBaks alot and they have excellent paf tone, I wouldn't replace my Tims with them though. I wouldn't replace my Antiquity's with anyother either. 'Cause I like 'em in the guitars they're in. I'm satisfied.

corpse

There's the rub.
When you find a new set of pickups it means it's time for a new guitar. You all caught that, right?
Big Al is, of course, going to explain that line of reasoning to Mrs Corpse.

My issue is the Customerbuckers really sound good...

El Gringo

My reason for having the same pickup in my 8 Les Paul's is because when I had to replace the Burstbuckers 1 & 3 , I gave the ThroBak's a shot and liked them in the R8 and then I reasoned that if the one set sounded good in my one Les Paul then I wanted that same sound /tone in all of my Les Paul's and I have not regretted it one bit at all . It's like I have solved one piece of the never ending puzzle of the challenge of making music . Here is another way of looking at it along with the addition of my Marshall's (2555X ) I have never sounded better ,nor been happier making music which is what its all about !

goldtop0

Who said you had to change?

I liked the ThroBaks alot and they have excellent paf tone, I wouldn't replace my Tims with them though. I wouldn't replace my Antiquity's with anyother either. 'Cause I like 'em in the guitars they're in. I'm satisfied.

Yes well that's the life of it isn't it Al.
Horses for courses as they say.
All the best to you and yours this Christmas and for 2020.

Steve

Big Al

Yes well that's the life of it isn't it Al.
Horses for courses as they say.
All the best to you and yours this Christmas and for 2020.

Steve

Same to you Steve. I hope you and yours have a great holiday and new year. I like that you kept your Timbuckers. When I popped mine in, they sounded glorious. OK, job done, search over. I have a great guitar in that '99 R9 and I like its tone. Someone asked me once, "Why don't you put ThroBaks in it?".

I asked what he thought was wrong, or missing in my tone that the Throbaks would fix or add to that R9? Other than the fact that they were the flavour of that week I didn't get an answer. I like Throbaks and admire his passion for authenticity, in build and tone, but I like my guitars as they are and once satisfied, I'm done.

I think you get it.

Big Al

My reason for having the same pickup in my 8 Les Paul's is because when I had to replace the Burstbuckers 1 & 3 , I gave the ThroBak's a shot and liked them in the R8 and then I reasoned that if the one set sounded good in my one Les Paul then I wanted that same sound /tone in all of my Les Paul's and I have not regretted it one bit at all . It's like I have solved one piece of the never ending puzzle of the challenge of making music . Here is another way of looking at it along with the addition of my Marshall's (2555X ) I have never sounded better ,nor been happier making music which is what its all about !

El Hombre Grande, I do things my way and I don't think it applies to anyone else. It is just my way. I find I like variety more than duplication. It is why I have Teles and Strats and Kays and Jrs and etc... Half my Les Pauls have Bigsby's, some have flipped magnet pup for oof tone, different value pots and caps, you get the idea.

I like the big box of crayons. I let the guitar guide me. Same for amps. Just my way and nothing more. What you are doing is your way, and the right way for you. And it's cool.

El Gringo

El Hombre Grande, I do things my way and I don't think it applies to anyone else. It is just my way. I find I like variety more than duplication. It is why I have Teles and Strats and Kays and Jrs and etc... Half my Les Pauls have Bigsby's, some have flipped magnet pup for oof tone, different value pots and caps, you get the idea.

I like the big box of crayons. I let the guitar guide me. Same for amps. Just my way and nothing more. What you are doing is your way, and the right way for you. And it's cool.

Big Al , How are you making out with your health and arm ?

goldtop0

I think you get it.

Yep Al, I'm long in the tooth now and have seen all the bits and pieces that go on.......but.......the thing that still gets me deep in my core is good music........whatever shape or form that takes.......I'm an absolute sucker for the good stuff......and the good people......so on it goes.

Big Al

Big Al , How are you making out with your health and arm ?

I wish I could say all is well. It's been 3 months since my emergency surgery and the stitches are still holding the skin/pectoral muscle flap over the large wound on my shoulder. So much damage from pst surgeries, removal of my humerus and replacement with a metal 'bone', radiation and chemo, loss of most soft tissue, dislocation and eruption of metal out through my shoulder and subsequent replacement/repair surgery have left me beat up beyond words.

After my pectoral muscle was disected from my chest, it was pulled under my chest and out onto the surgical wound, with artery and vein still attached for blood supply. Still the underlying tissue is so damaged, it hasn't grafted onto it and the stitching holds it in place.

The chest healed, the drain and stitches removed, but I have to dress the graft everyday as it is stil draining/bleeding. They still want me to consider amputation, and it may come to that, but not by choice!

Hard to remain cheerful, especially as every Friday I go to the hospital to have tissue cut away from the bottom of the graft, nearest the crook of my arm where drainage is most severe. No novicane, no numbing.

I'm still in my surgical sling and cannot remove it, for any reason. My arm has remained, immobilised. I may never play guitar again. It is so painful.

Other than that, I'm living the dream.

tonemandan

Big Al. So very sorry to hear of your health problems. I have not been active in this forum for a long time so I didn't know. Prayers for you Brother.

goldtop0

I wish I could say all is well. It's been 3 months since my emergency surgery and the stitches are still holding the skin/pectoral muscle flap over the large wound on my shoulder. So much damage from pst surgeries, removal of my humerus and replacement with a metal 'bone', radiation and chemo, loss of most soft tissue, dislocation and eruption of metal out through my shoulder and subsequent replacement/repair surgery have left me beat up beyond words.

After my pectoral muscle was disected from my chest, it was pulled under my chest and out onto the surgical wound, with artery and vein still attached for blood supply. Still the underlying tissue is so damaged, it hasn't grafted onto it and the stitching holds it in place.

The chest healed, the drain and stitches removed, but I have to dress the graft everyday as it is stil draining/bleeding. They still want me to consider amputation, and it may come to that, but not by choice!

Hard to remain cheerful, especially as every Friday I go to the hospital to have tissue cut away from the bottom of the graft, nearest the crook of my arm where drainage is most severe. No novicane, no numbing.

I'm still in my surgical sling and cannot remove it, for any reason. My arm has remained, immobilised. I may never play guitar again. It is so painful.

Other than that, I'm living the dream.

That's tough Al what you're going through.........prayers and thoughts are with you all the time.